Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive

Phoronix: Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive

The latest piece of hardware up for testing at Phoronix is the Seagate ST1000DX001, a 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive (SSHD) that retails for less than $100 USD. But how well does this 1TB hard drive that has 8GB of MLC flash memory work with Linux? Let's find out.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm curious - what happens when the SSD part of the hybrid drive breaks? (SSDs are known for their short life span) Does it work as a normal HDD then or does it fail altogether?

Comment

The only people to get Hybrid drives right until recently have been Apple. You cant just put a tiny buffer in there, you need a 128GB SSD. Luckily WD just launched the Black2 line of hybrid drives so that should hopefully push other OEMs along the right path.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        SSDs are known for their short life span
        All of mine have lasted me years.

I do not run virtual memory.(swap file)

Problem solved.

Comment

What's wrong with that SSD in the last benchmark?!

Comment

A more suitable platter drive for comparison would have been a 1TB unit, as the older 160 and 320 drives didn't have the areal density of the 1TB's, subsequently giving you a peformance boost compared to the the two units reviewed. Still, you could probably 'imagine' (oh boy) a 1TB being 30-50% faster than the 160/320GB drives and still would not even touch the hybrid's performance.
            Hi

Comment

The standard benchmarking tools aren't really idea for Hybrid drive testing anyway. The theory is that the drive best figures out what gets accessed most often and caches that in SSD. When you're using the benchmark it's almost impossible to tell whether the speed changed throughout the run, at which stage data may (or may not) have transitioned to the flash storage etc. It's purely a guess but I'd imagine what the run saw was slow starting speeds, higher end speeds as the data transitioned to SSD which likely wouldn't reflect a real world scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                All of mine have lasted me years.

I do not run virtual memory.(swap file)

Problem solved.
                I even run swap and tmp on my 50GB ocz agility 2 and it is at least 4 years old now. I am excessively pulling in daily openSUSE updates (tumbleweed) etc and it hast only few gigabytes free space all the time, sometimes its even totally filled.

I guess I went pretty lucky. I also thought it might break already after 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                  I'm curious - what happens when the HDD part of the hybrid drive breaks? (HDDs are known for their short life span) Does it work as a normal SSD then or does it fail altogether?
                  FIFY.
                  10chars

Comment

I'm actually running on its 750GB 2.5" brother right now, on my Fedora desktop.

I bought it for about $140 last year and I've to say it runs pretty well under Linux.

It self-optimized mechanism can significantly benefit system booting, reducing Fedora default booting time from 31s to 12s.

Comment

Working...
                    X