Thread: Intel Makes Major Zlib Performance Improvements

Default Intel Makes Major Zlib Performance Improvements

Phoronix: Intel Makes Major Zlib Performance Improvements

Intel's Open-Source Technology Center has prepared a set of thirteen patches against Zlib to sharply improve the deflate performance...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUyNzY

Intel has had an accelerated zlib library for years in their IPP suite.

Shouldn't this kind of optimizations keep the compression ratio intact? I mean for the level 1 compression, where there is a 30% loss. I vastly thank them for the other improvements.

So all those old apps (at least, on Windows) that shipped with zlib in the install will need an updated zlib file to take advantage of this. Would that be how it works in that situation? Could I merely replace the old zlib with the new one? It's more a hypothetical I likely would not end up doing in reality, and is more more for my curiousities sake =)

With linux, a simple update should suffice if it gets pushed upstream, yeah? Aall apps would get an instant performance boost?

Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    Shouldn't this kind of optimizations keep the compression ratio intact? I mean for the level 1 compression, where there is a 30% loss. I vastly thank them for the other improvements.
    passing zip level 1 compression is like passing GCC -O0. You're telling it you value speed more than compression and you want it to do anything possible to speed things up, and that the compression size isn't important. If it was, you'd pick one of the higher levels.

Quote Originally Posted by stiiixy View Post
    So all those old apps (at least, on Windows) that shipped with zlib in the install will need an updated zlib file to take advantage of this. Would that be how it works in that situation? Could I merely replace the old zlib with the new one? It's more a hypothetical I likely would not end up doing in reality, and is more more for my curiousities sake =)

With linux, a simple update should suffice if it gets pushed upstream, yeah? Aall apps would get an instant performance boost?
    As long as there aren't any API/ABI breakages, yeah. And I guess there aren't, as developers usually tell about it when they land a patch.

Quote Originally Posted by toyotabedzrock View Post
    Intel has had an accelerated zlib library for years in their IPP suite.
    Now if they could patch 7-zip's libs (as used in AdvancePNG/AdvanceCOMP's support for ZIP/PNG, as used in XZ for LZMA deflating, etc.) to make *that* faster.

(7-zip's implementation of Deflate has much more compression performance than the Deflate in stock zlib,
    7-zip also implements LZMA2 which has much better compression than Deflate and is used in several modern compression schemes [.7z, .tar.xz, recent .rpm, some recent variants of .rar, etc.] ).

About time. They've had this, closed, for years.

Now, next open-source the ARM zlib optimizations. Though Apple owns them now, so probably zero hope of that.