Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xiph.Org's Opus Audio Codec 1.1 Is Nearly Ready

Phoronix: Xiph.Org's Opus Audio Codec 1.1 Is Nearly Ready

The first release candidate to Xiph.Org's Opus 1.1 open-source audio codec is now available. Should no major issues turn up, this RC release will turn into the final version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now this is a useful project doing the real shit.

Comment

I can't wait to start encoding all my music is opus. The file sizes are always less than half of the 320kbps mp3 and same/better quality.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
        I can't wait to start encoding all my music is opus. The file sizes are always less than half of the 320kbps mp3 and same/better quality.
        beat you to it, already encode my 10gb music library entirely to opus

well to be exact is now my 7gb opus music library and even with classical music the sound is totally perfect, i guess opus 1.1 will just improve it even more

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          beat you to it, already encode my 10gb music library entirely to opus

well to be exact is now my 7gb opus music library and even with classical music the sound is totally perfect, i guess opus 1.1 will just improve it even more
          How do you do that? What commands or maybe a GUI app? Afaik the mainstream GUI-based audio encoding apps don't yet support opus.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
            IIRC, classical music tends to be easier to compress without ruining it.

Anyway, isn't Vorbis better suited for compressing music? I always thought Opus was targeted to audio streaming, not to having local collections compressed.

Comment

Oh joy!

Yet another audio codec that doesn't work in any portable audio player....

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                IIRC, classical music tends to be easier to compress without ruining it.

Anyway, isn't Vorbis better suited for compressing music? I always thought Opus was targeted to audio streaming, not to having local collections compressed.
                No, opus is better than everything, including vorbis, mp3 (flac doesn't count since it's lossless). Underneath it's 2 codecs in one which can switch over if needed: one for high-quality stuff (mp3 etc replacement) and one for low quality, low bitrate online stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                  No, opus is better than everything, including vorbis, mp3 (flac doesn't count since it's lossless). Underneath it's 2 codecs in one which can switch over if needed: one for high-quality stuff (mp3 etc replacement) and one for low quality, low bitrate online stuff.
                  I do not need to be reminded that almost any modern codec beats the hell out of mp3. The only present advantage it has is its ubiquity.
                  I know it works as two different codecs, but I have no idea how it chooses between the two.

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                  And the other would be?

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                    That might change soon when browsers (and thus smartphones, etc.) will support it.

Comment

Working...
                    X