Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Xiph.Org's Opus Audio Codec 1.1 Is Nearly Ready

Default Xiph.Org's Opus Audio Codec 1.1 Is Nearly Ready

Phoronix: Xiph.Org's Opus Audio Codec 1.1 Is Nearly Ready

The first release candidate to Xiph.Org's Opus 1.1 open-source audio codec is now available. Should no major issues turn up, this RC release will turn into the final version...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUyNzI

Now this is a useful project doing the real shit.

I can't wait to start encoding all my music is opus. The file sizes are always less than half of the 320kbps mp3 and same/better quality.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    I can't wait to start encoding all my music is opus. The file sizes are always less than half of the 320kbps mp3 and same/better quality.
    beat you to it, already encode my 10gb music library entirely to opus

well to be exact is now my 7gb opus music library and even with classical music the sound is totally perfect, i guess opus 1.1 will just improve it even more

Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    beat you to it, already encode my 10gb music library entirely to opus

well to be exact is now my 7gb opus music library and even with classical music the sound is totally perfect, i guess opus 1.1 will just improve it even more
    How do you do that? What commands or maybe a GUI app? Afaik the mainstream GUI-based audio encoding apps don't yet support opus.

Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    IIRC, classical music tends to be easier to compress without ruining it.

Anyway, isn't Vorbis better suited for compressing music? I always thought Opus was targeted to audio streaming, not to having local collections compressed.

Default Oh joy!

Yet another audio codec that doesn't work in any portable audio player....

Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    IIRC, classical music tends to be easier to compress without ruining it.

Anyway, isn't Vorbis better suited for compressing music? I always thought Opus was targeted to audio streaming, not to having local collections compressed.
    No, opus is better than everything, including vorbis, mp3 (flac doesn't count since it's lossless). Underneath it's 2 codecs in one which can switch over if needed: one for high-quality stuff (mp3 etc replacement) and one for low quality, low bitrate online stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    No, opus is better than everything, including vorbis, mp3 (flac doesn't count since it's lossless). Underneath it's 2 codecs in one which can switch over if needed: one for high-quality stuff (mp3 etc replacement) and one for low quality, low bitrate online stuff.
    I do not need to be reminded that almost any modern codec beats the hell out of mp3. The only present advantage it has is its ubiquity.
    I know it works as two different codecs, but I have no idea how it chooses between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    And the other would be?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    That might change soon when browsers (and thus smartphones, etc.) will support it.