• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 9 Beta and Win Vista problem

Hi all, first of all, a brief rundown of my system before I ask a question:

sda->XP
    sdb->Vista
    sdc->Rawhide (F9 Beta)

Okay, I've installed Rawhide and have got GRUB set up, on sda1, so that it defaults to the Windows bootloader. I booted into Fedora and it worked very well (apart from System update, but I'm using an older version, so I'll try updating via yum tonight). I rebooted into Windows and XP booted okay, but Vista didn't want to play (possibly because the bootloader has been moved and the disk references in the bootloader are wrong?)

What I am wondering is what my options are from here? Do I repair the MBR (the Windows way) or try and figure out what is going wrong with the Vista install and mess with that? Are there problems if I don't have GRUB installed on sda1?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Andy

If you directly installed V to sdb (without the hd you currently use as sda) then you need a little trick:

title V
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader (hd1,0)+1

in you /boot/grub/menu.lst .

Comment

Thanks for the info Kano, but the Windows bootloader was on sda before GRUB moved it. Maybe I should have made my entry clearer, I installed XP on sda (or SATA0), then installed Vista on sdb (or SATA1) and I got the Vista bootloader to choose between XP and Vista at boot time.

When I installed Fedora on sdc (or SATA2), GRUB was installed on sda1 and moved the Windows bootloader somewhere else.

The strange thing is, I can boot into XP from the Windows bootloader, but not Vista. I'm going to have a look at it tonight and I may have some more info then.

Thanks for the help.

Andy

Comment

Usually the V bootloader is on the XP partition then and you can choose there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          If you directly installed V to sdb (without the hd you currently use as sda) then you need a little trick:

title V
          map (hd0) (hd1)
          map (hd1) (hd0)
          chainloader (hd1,0)+1

in you /boot/grub/menu.lst .
          One key addition:

Code:
          map (hd1) (hd0)
          map (hd0) (hd1)
          rootnoverify (hd0,#)
          makeactive
          chainloader +1
          Where '#' is the partition number (partitions are numbered from '0' in GRUB). That's what I have to place into GRUB to be able to boot XP installed into another HDD other than the first disk (IDE0-S)

Edit

By the way, /boot/grub/menu.lst is a symlink to /boot/grub/grub.conf and there is also another link in /etc/grub.conf in every Fedora install.
          Last edited by Thetargos; 10 April 2008, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Thansk for all the info. I fixed my minor problem with dependency conflicts (I deleted one of the packages that was causing the problem syslog.ng I think it was. It wasn't running, so I think I may have got away with it) and updated my system to the latest beta release.

I also managed to fix Vista. From the error message given when I used the Vista install disk, it couldn't find the Vista partition. So I repaired it, rebooted and got GRUB back (looks very nice btw. Bit of burning sulphur in the corner ) and tried booting into Fedora (worked), XP (worked) and Vista (worked). Actually pleasantly surprised with Microsoft for getting that working so easily.

Serious testing with Fedora tonight. Looking forward to some fun.

Just as a matter of interest, which graphics drivers would I be better to install, the nVidia tarball or the Neuvo (?) ones? I have an 8800GTS.

Andy

Comment

@Thetargos

You don't need active partitions to boot newer Win releases. Only V needs that for install (otherwise it does not find the partition to use). Since 2k the active flag to boot is not required anymore. Only some XP MCE always activated the Win partition on boot - which required Grub to be installed into MBR. I usually use Grub in (primary) partition. Also I experimented with Grub2 (compiled for use with Win bootloader) and Grub4dos. Both have the ability to seek for files and set the root partition to that partition. Pretty handy when you know how this works.

Comment

Working...
              X