iBuyPower Launching An AMD-Based Steam Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Games aren't CPU bound anymore, therefore you don't need intel for a gaming platform. I'd rather spend an extra $100 for just nvidia.
    Not that nvidia is in any way better than AMD when it comes to graphics, but saying that games are not CPU bound assumes people play only FPS games. Strategy games (and I mean strategy games, not RTS) are and always will be CPU bound.

Comment

Damn edit limit...

Maybe bridgeman has some more informations for us, like has AMD changed their priorities for catalyst on linux? With some luck he'll reply...

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
        Damn edit limit...

Maybe bridgeman has some more informations for us, like has AMD changed their priorities for catalyst on linux? With some luck he'll reply...
        Several AMD graphics guys recently featured in a "Ask me Anything" on THG. When asked about steam machines and linux graphics drivers, the answer was:

"I want to have an answer for you, but the Steam Machines are still a very young enterprise. We are working closely with Valve to answer all of these questions, but I will say this:

Expect AMD-based Steam Machines in 2014, which means a stable and high-performance driver is required. We've already been making massive contributions to the Linux 3.11 and 3.12 kernels to substantially improve performance and features, so you can see the evidence in our efforts there. "

Since only contributions to the linux kernel were mentioned, but no mention of frglx is given, I would assume that the open drivers are the one they will be betting at in the near future. Maybe they are already working on the code, but will only push upstream in a very large batch, such as has been the case with UVD and DPM...

Comment

Maybe they are already working on the code, but will only push upstream in a very large batch, such as has been the case with UVD and DPM...
          That would be wonderful, as it would mean they have an ace up their sleeve! I am skeptical however, since it is AMD + Linux we are talking here. I really do wonder why their Linux driver lags so far behind compared to Nvidia's Linux driver (in terms of stability and updates).

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
            I really do wonder why their Linux driver lags so far behind compared to Nvidia's Linux driver (in terms of stability and updates).
            What is there to wonder? They have absolutely no interest in Linux. Just look at any of their big press events. It's wall-to-wall Windows or consoles. Even their mobile events are 100% Windows... not an Android tablet to be found anywhere. And when they're not fawning over Windows they're off hyping something else like DirectCompute.

Comment

I share other people's concern. I think it's too early to use AMD with Linux. It'll take seeing a successful nVidia powered Steam Machine for AMD to feel the pressure to fix their drivers. A SteamMachine with AMD at this point will be a bad publicity for SteamOS and for Linux in genreal.

Comment

Sigh....

NVIDIA - Has a good binary driver. Downside: They only have a binary driver. (Nouveua is pretty sad, the most you can hope for is 2d)
                INTEL - Has a good, nearly on par with windows, open source driver. Downside: Their graphics hardware is rather weak compared to Nvidia and AMD.
                AMD - Older hardware has an open source driver nearly on par with the binaries and are making great strides in getting all their hardware supported by the open driver. Downside: Their binary driver has minimal support, and has issues.

They have absolutely no interest in Linux.
                AMD is interested in linux. It's just that most of their linux team efforts these last few years were going into the open source driver. With the valve boxes showing up. The only real question is will they polish the binary driver or bring up the performance of the open driver for valve.

Comment

That would be wonderful, as it would mean they have an ace up their sleeve! I am skeptical however, since it is AMD + Linux we are talking here. I really do wonder why their Linux driver lags so far behind compared to Nvidia's Linux driver (in terms of stability and updates).
                  But remember that AMD is putting some of their own people to work on the open driver, so unlike Nvidia discrete GPU side (their ARM soc at least make them not completely hopeless of seeing one day open driver for GPU from them), they have a better chance to actually go for a fully open driver solution for the steam machine, if they release a gaming capable open driver, I am sure not touching Nvidia, unless they make major change in their support of open driver.

Comment

As far as CPU performance goes, most games are not constrained by CPU.
                    Bang for buck, AMD usually wins. (If you want the most performance, Intel wins, but it will cost extra.)

The only CPU concern for devices like this will likely be the heat generated, which might make the case of using a cooler Intel CPU.

Comment

Obviously this is purely speculation on my part, but steamachines are halfway between consoles and pcs. That meaning the builds are somewhat fixed. Thus, they may very well use custom kernels/mesa/gallium which are not yet thoroughly tested but support more features and/or have better performance than the mainline stack...

Comment

Working...
                      X