iBuyPower Launching An AMD-Based Steam Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
    Pretty much this. Not sure why a SteamBox has to be delivered with catalyst in 2014. There's still plenty of time for both game and driver devs to work things out.

Is there even a public API documentation of mantle? All I've seen so far are press announcements, unproven claims of superiority and two games that promise to actually use it, but won't quite yet.

So far openGL has the one big advantage over Mantle: openGL actually exists.
    That because it is currently in limited access, most likely for development reason, they mentioned open access to the beta should start early next year if I remember right.

Comment

Valve should prohibit using the Steam name with AMD hardware.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
        This box looks almost perfect!
        Only I'd happily pay an extra $200 for an Intel/Nvidia combo!
        Games aren't CPU bound anymore, therefore you don't need intel for a gaming platform. I'd rather spend an extra $100 for just nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Valve should prohibit using the Steam name with AMD hardware.
          As Valve plans to release AMD powered SteamMachines, too, they would be stupid doing so.

Most people here should have another view on this: The more companies plan to use AMD together with Linux the more AMD is under pressure to better their drivers...

//EDIT: IIRC Valve even told they are in contact with AMDs driver team just as they are with nvidia.
          Last edited by V10lator; 26 November 2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Games aren't CPU bound anymore, therefore you don't need intel for a gaming platform. I'd rather spend an extra $100 for just nvidia.
            But they are...

Not all. No. Some. Yes.

Games like MMO for example tend to be on avrg CPU limited.

Besides that, we are thinking about some small form factors with great deal of cooling here. Desktop trade offs wont apply easily.

(As for Mantle: its not here. State of Catalyst MAY suggest that OpenGL Linux crew was moved into Mantle. But we do not know for sure. However Mantle-like approach would be very good thing for any PC 3D api. Lets hope Intel/Nvidia/AMD/Mesa push for such changes in OpenGL too.)

Comment

Not this again.

Valve said Steam Machines will be announced at CES 2014 (January), and everything before is just PR, like Xi Piston.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Intel has superior single thread performance which matters with most games

Though the PS4 suffers the same single thread problem it appears game devs are now rewriting their game engines optimizing better multi-threaded operation. This will then spill over to desktop gaming performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
                  I agree, this won't go well. Using an AMD GPU for a gaming machine is a rookie mistake. I wonder what else they built into that machine.
                  Just put a Creative X-fi in the mix and have fun xD

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                  The more companies plan to use AMD together with Linux the more AMD is under pressure to better their drivers...
                  i thought is just the other side, if steam machines are Nvidia only and start making money AMD then would make better drivers to get in the market.

Users can't reward AMD for not doing good drivers buying their products in hopes that they eventually fix the problems...

PS. i have an AMD 7950, but never again... i'm not going to buy another card in hopes they made good drivers sometime... the only good thing with amd cards are the Open source drivers...

Comment

The more companies plan to use AMD together with Linux the more AMD is under pressure to better their drivers...
                    You would think that when Valve announced Linux support, AMD would get itself together to ensure it would be on par with Nvidia's offerings in Linux. It hasn't done so. In fact, it's been up and down the entire year. The only one seriously commiting a proper driver to Linux is Nvidia (I know it's proprietary, but you must get the job done first before anything else). Intel is slowly catching up. The fact that AMD didn't want to announce that they are officially supporting the Steam Machines, and instead pushed Valve's hands to say it is a serious show of their inability to remain dedicated to the Linux platform right now.

The future may yield different results, but with both PS4 and Xbox One sales seemingly doing well, you have to realise AMD is in no rush to support Linux or Valve at this time.

"You?ve asked questions around Valve?s recent announcement of SteamOS and Steam Machines ? and were wondering if AMD was ?left out? from their prototype program. This couldn?t be further from the truth ? AMD is very actively engaged with Valve on these products and campaigns. But since we?d like you to hear this from Valve directly, please email Doug Lombardi, who is the Vice President of Marketing at Valve for their official statement on AMD?s involvement in the Steam Machine prototype program." - AMD's response to being left out of the prototype phase. Beating around the bush.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
                      "You’ve asked questions around Valve’s recent announcement of SteamOS and Steam Machines – and were wondering if AMD was ‘left out’ from their prototype program. This couldn’t be further from the truth – AMD is very actively engaged with Valve on these products and campaigns. But since we’d like you to hear this from Valve directly, please email Doug Lombardi, who is the Vice President of Marketing at Valve for their official statement on AMD’s involvement in the Steam Machine prototype program."
                      That's just marketing bla bla and most likely they aren't allowed to give any more details (NDA). But "AMD is very actively engaged with Valve on these products and campaigns" is a hint.

Better read this:
                      "Valve has worked closely together with all three of these companies (AMD, Nvidia, and Intel) on optimizing their hardware for SteamOS, and will continue to do so into the foreseeable future."
                      (source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasoneva...ines-for-2014/ )

Originally posted by Sdar View Post
                      Users can't reward AMD for not doing good drivers buying their products in hopes that they eventually fix the problems...
                      Do you count companies like Valve as users?

Comment

Working...
                      X