Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iBuyPower Launching An AMD-Based Steam Machine

Phoronix: iBuyPower Launching An AMD-Based Steam Machine

Word has now gotten out that iBuyPower is planning to introduce their own Steam Machines device next year that is powered by the Linux-based SteamOS and will be using an AMD processor and AMD graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Honestly, right now a steambox with an AMD gpu running catalyst is the perfect way to damage the platform and to hand over ammo to the "if it's a pc you will still have lots of pc issues" crew.

I've even thought of buying something like doesitrunoncatalyst.com with links to all the release notes of newer steam games that warn of catalyst issues.

I can't imagine these keeping linux instead of windows for long...

Comment

Wonderful news! I hope this will encourage AMD to get catalyst on par with Windows version... As a long time AMD user I really hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
        Honestly, right now a steambox with an AMD gpu running catalyst is the perfect way to damage the platform and to hand over ammo to the "if it's a pc you will still have lots of pc issues" crew.
        I agree, this won't go well. Using an AMD GPU for a gaming machine is a rookie mistake. I wonder what else they built into that machine.

Comment

Using an AMD GPU for a gaming machine is a rookie mistake.
          Exactly this. After having used a X1650, HD 4850, and a HD6850 and HD6870 with AMD's Linux drivers, it's a clear cut nightmare.

iBuyPower must really push AMD for a proper Linux driver for their machine if it's meant to be without many issues. If they're hoping to just use what's already available, they are in for a rude awakening. This will also tarnish the SteamBox's image if not done right, and AMD most certainly won't assist when that happens.

Comment

I knew someone who bought a computer from what I believe was this particular company, nearly 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure it was iBuyPower because I remember thinking the company name was dumb. His computer arrived completely covered in dust, including the inside of it. It also had the wrong CPU model (though, it was actually a better CPU than he ordered). Personally, I wasn't surprised considering the company's questionably low prices and cheesy name. Considering how long they've been in business, I would hope they learned to prevent further issues.

Comment

Agreed. The push has to be with the gallium3d driver. I'm quite hopeful that the next few months will result in some significant strides in the radeonsi driver performance and GL extension support. I would think there's even an outside chance of a Mantle gallium3d state-tracker.

The rate of improvement of mesa lately has been impressive, and the recent push to bring in new novice developers allows the core and driver teams to concentrate on the harder problems. I suspect we'll see GL4.x sooner than many expect.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
                The push has to be with the gallium3d driver. I'm quite hopeful that the next few months will result in some significant strides in the radeonsi driver performance and GL extension support.
                Pretty much this. Not sure why a SteamBox has to be delivered with catalyst in 2014. There's still plenty of time for both game and driver devs to work things out.

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
                I would think there's even an outside chance of a Mantle gallium3d state-tracker.
                Is there even a public API documentation of mantle? All I've seen so far are press announcements, unproven claims of superiority and two games that promise to actually use it, but won't quite yet.

So far openGL has the one big advantage over Mantle: openGL actually exists.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                  Pretty much this. Not sure why a SteamBox has to be delivered with catalyst in 2014. There's still plenty of time for both game and driver devs to work things out.

Is there even a public API documentation of mantle? All I've seen so far are press announcements, unproven claims of superiority and two games that promise to actually use it, but won't quite yet.

So far openGL has the one big advantage over Mantle: openGL actually exists.
                  After reading this I'm starting to think that Mantle should be a really good alternative to OpenGL in the long run, and also very good for open source.

If I understood it correctly, the "Mantle driver" is actually much leaner then DX/OGL drivers. Thus, it should be faster to build support for Mantle into the mesa/gallium drivers, since the game engines are the ones who will be doing most of the work, not the drivers. Furthermore, I also believe it is less likely that the API is restrained by patented matter (again, most patented matter will be performed by the game engine and not the driver).

IMHO, AMD has not yet provided full disclosure on Matle because it is either not fully ready and/or they want to have a headstart with it. To lock it to a single vendor would obviouly be dooming the API do history books along with glide, physx, etc...

Comment

This box looks almost perfect!
                    Only I'd happily pay an extra $200 for an Intel/Nvidia combo!

Comment

Working...
                    X