No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Is "Taking Linux Gaming Serious"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Ubuntu I always run into problems installing/updating Nvidia. It would be cool to have it as easy as on Windows.
    Those repos/ppas etc. are 90% broken...

Any yes integrate the Mantle goodies into OpenGL. Maybe Mantle, but I couldn't care less, as we don't need any more
    fragmentation.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
      On Ubuntu I always run into problems installing/updating Nvidia. It would be cool to have it as easy as on Windows.
      On Debian I just use sgfxi. Works like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
        For real?

I can't say I've had issues with the NVIDIA driver on any distro. I have had all sorts of issues with AMD Catalyst, but thankfully the open source ATI driver (especially with DPM) has now got to a point where I don't even bother with AMD's binary anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          What else do they even need to do? The binary driver is already at performance parity with Windows.
          Nope, performance parity is only one thing to take into consideration. There's no driver API that would allow us to write a clone of NVidia Inspector for Linux. Also, the control panel is a very sad thing in Linux. In Windows, I can configure pretty much everything in it. In Linux, it is extremely basic.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Nope, performance parity is only one thing to take into consideration. There's no driver API that would allow us to write a clone of NVidia Inspector for Linux. Also, the control panel is a very sad thing in Linux. In Windows, I can configure pretty much everything in it. In Linux, it is extremely basic.
            The control panel could use localization (translations) too.

Comment

that's true, but their latest cards contain a gpu from 1.5 year ago(q1-q2 '12).

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                What else do they even need to do? The binary driver is already at performance parity with Windows.

Maybe there is one thing they can do: bring their overclocking tools over to Linux. Doesn't need to be opensource; as long as it works properly like they have been doing with the binary driver, it's good enough.
                They could support nouveau.

Comment

Kernel Mode Setting!!
                  You can always spot a machine with a proprietary gpu driver booting by the butt-ugly bootsplash resolution and tty transitions.
                  Debugging of kernel panic also depends on this; proprietary gpu users just get a frozen screen with no information. Joking aside, a blue screen is much better from a usability prespective than a freeze.

Comment

I'd like them to provide more timely support for newer kernel versions in the future and less general weirdness (how does that even happen).

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                      EGL driver for Wayland please. KDE and Gnome will enable Wayland next year, and if Nvidia won't release the driver, it will become a mess.
                      /+100.

- Gilboa
                      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                      X