Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Is "Taking Linux Gaming Serious"

Phoronix: NVIDIA Is "Taking Linux Gaming Serious"

While NVIDIA historically looked at Linux as a market for pushing more Quadro workstation GPU sales, with Valve's SteamOS Linux / Steam Machines and activities from other game studios, NVIDIA is now taking Linux gaming seriously...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix
    What else would you like to see out of NVIDIA's Linux support?
    What else do they even need to do? The binary driver is already at performance parity with Windows.

Maybe there is one thing they can do: bring their overclocking tools over to Linux. Doesn't need to be opensource; as long as it works properly like they have been doing with the binary driver, it's good enough.

Comment

I would like all of their tools to come to Linux. We still don't have PhysX or an easy way to force AA/AF settings and the like for specific games. Sure, most of the features are there if the developers specifically program them in but in Windows you can just select a game from a list and have Nvidia force quality settings on it.

Something for taking video clips like GeForce Experience / Shadowplay does on Windows would also be nice for parity between systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        What else do they even need to do? The binary driver is already at performance parity with Windows.

Maybe there is one thing they can do: bring their overclocking tools over to Linux. Doesn't need to be opensource; as long as it works properly like they have been doing with the binary driver, it's good enough.
        Shadowplay, PhysX (GPU port, not CPU), Gsync, and optimus are all things I want on Linux.

Note:
        Yes I know Gsync monitors are net available but the Nvidia site only mentioned WIndows as supported.

Comment

Came here to chime in that I want Shadowplay and Experience too. Now only if Razer took Linux as seriously... (you guys only got my money because you made a left-handed mouse...)

Comment

Does 3D vision work in Linux ?
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
            Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              What else would you like to see out of NVIDIA's Linux support?
              That nVidia cards are a little cheaper. In my country you should invest 3 months full salary to buy an nVidia GTX 780. I want price offers for Linux users!!!
              Last edited by YAFU; 25 November 2013, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
                Does 3D vision work in Linux ?
                Not even a little, but afaik it's a more fundamental issue than just a graphics driver?

Edit: I might (hopefully!) be wrong?
                Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

Comment

I Would Like Nvidia to improve/ test latency in their driver, as well as improve thier driver on PREEMPT_RT_FULL (Real time linux).

Comment

EGL driver for Wayland please. KDE and Gnome will enable Wayland next year, and if Nvidia won't release the driver, it will become a mess.

Comment

Working...
                    X