DragonFlyBSD 3.6 Does Intel/AMD KMS, DPorts, Better SMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    I don't. BO$$ claims to be a developer. So if he measures the marketshare to be an indicator for success the question about the marketshare of his projects is legitimate. Also, your link to desktop usage statistics shows only that you don't know shit about DragonFlyBSD, it is aimed at servers, so why do you even bring up the desktop marketshare? Is it because this was a very poor attempt to troll or because you wanted to show us your ignorance?
    Sorry, I didn't notice you were replying to BO$$. When comes to server market share it's still nearly the same. Linux owns and Windows shares quite big part as well. Unix is third.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
      Heh...
      Market share for desktop: http://www.netmarketshare.com/operat...=8&qpcustomd=0
      Mac OS X 7.73%, Linux 1.61

Market share for mobile/tablet: http://www.netmarketshare.com/operat...=8&qpcustomd=1
      IOS 55.39%, Android 30.58%

Console market share: http://www.netmarketshare.com/operat...=8&qpcustomd=2
      Playstation 77.8%, Linux??

Before you start crying "OS X is not FreeBSD", this CLEARLY shows that BSD is all over the place, all over the world. So STFU.
      OS X is not BSD, ios is not BSD, playstation is not BSD, BSD (license) is not BSD. Maybe you have BSD in your basement, but it's not all over the place. It's dead on desktops and it has very low server market share. It doesn't matter if there's some BSD code being used, because license has nothing to do with OS in this case. It's like saying GPL is operating system, so better STFU. Where's Playstation source code? Damn, it's closed, isn't it? Yes, BSD license sucks, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
        OS X is not BSD, ios is not BSD, playstation is not BSD, BSD (license) is not BSD. Maybe you have BSD in your basement, but it's not all over the place. It's dead on desktops and it has very low server market share. It doesn't matter if there's some BSD code being used, because license has nothing to do with OS in this case. It's like saying GPL is operating system, so better STFU. Where's Playstation source code? Damn, it's closed, isn't it? Yes, BSD license sucks, too.
        Hahahahahaha... Whine, whine...

Market share for desktop: http://www.netmarketshare.com/operat...=8&qpcustomd=0
        Mac OS X 7.73%, Linux 1.61

Market share for mobile/tablet: http://www.netmarketshare.com/operat...=8&qpcustomd=1
        IOS 55.39%, Android 30.58%

Console market share: http://www.netmarketshare.com/operat...=8&qpcustomd=2
        Playstation 77.8%, Linux??

Comment

I don't really care wether code is used or not. If you don't like BSD, don't use it. If you don't want to contribute, don't. And i don't understand why you think that your beliefs might interest other people.

Again, I don't think that market share is really the only goal to reach, sharing code with other is a great goal. Some people, like me, find it useful. I've learn a lot reading dragonfly and openBSD source code, and for that, I thank people who have wrote and share it. For me, the existence of this code matters a lot, and even you don't care, please accept that other do.

But in the other hands, some of your claims are wrong. I don't think that it means a lot about the quality of BSD code, but these project use BSD code, not licence, and that certainly means that it's useful for some people. For facts, see :

Contribute to aosp-mirror/platform_bionic development by creating an account on GitHub.

and others, i don't feel like making an exhaustive list here.

People enjoy writing the code. People are happy reusing it. People learn from it. You don't ? Move away. Why do you even care ? Your hate will not change anything about that. So please stop flooding BSD post with it, and let's start constructive discussions. Please.

Comment

Originally posted by enjolras View Post
            I don't really care wether code is used or not. If you don't like BSD, don't use it. If you don't want to contribute, don't. And i don't understand why you think that your beliefs might interest other people.

Again, I don't think that market share is really the only goal to reach, sharing code with other is a great goal. Some people, like me, find it useful. I've learn a lot reading dragonfly and openBSD source code, and for that, I thank people who have wrote and share it. For me, the existence of this code matters a lot, and even you don't care, please accept that other do.

But in the other hands, some of your claims are wrong. I don't think that it means a lot about the quality of BSD code, but these project use BSD code, not licence, and that certainly means that it's useful for some people. For facts, see :

Contribute to aosp-mirror/platform_bionic development by creating an account on GitHub.

People enjoy writing the code. People are happy reusing it. People learn from it. You don't ? Move away. Why do you even care ? Your hate will not change anything about that. So please stop flooding BSD post with it, and let's start constructive discussions. Please.
            Hear hear, I'm going to be giving Dragonfly BSD a go tonight to see how it stacks up in comparison to Linux on my desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by enjolras View Post

You are absolutely right; I've learned a lot particularly from FreeBSD, also from Linux. Having this code is great. Unfortunately there are people that believe everything is Linux, and the saddest thing, that ONLY Linux makes sense.

Comment

Working...
              X