Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's GL Windows Driver Pushes Further Ahead Of Linux

Phoronix: Intel's GL Windows Driver Pushes Further Ahead Of Linux

Intel's Windows OpenGL driver continues to make progress in a more steadfast manner than the open-source Intel Linux graphics driver. The latest achievement for the Intel Windows driver is OpenGL 4.2 compliance for Haswell...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess it's because the windows team use some patented tech why doesn't pertain to Intel, so for the open source engineers, the simple event of seeing the code of the windows driver might lead to subconscious appropriation and reusal of those patents / patented ideas and generate huge lawsuits for intel.

Comment

only for haswell? and ivy?

only for haswell? and ivy?

Comment

It is nice to see intel releasing new opengl support so quickly, at this rate by the end of 2014 we may have opengl 4.4 on windows and linux, at which point opengl 4.5/5.0 may be coming out possibly. When intel has full opengl compliance and speed not far off amd's apu's gpu amd may be tempted to open source their drivers as they won't have much to lose at that point. Intel has lots of money to hire amd/nvidia devs to make their drivers more stable.

Comment

The problem with Intel is that they stop supporting their chips once a new one comes out.

Sandy Bridge is stuck with OpenGL 3.1, even though the hardware is capable of OpenGL 3.3. This is both Windows and Linux.

So yeah, don't expect too much from Haswell. One year of support and Intel will call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            The problem with Intel is that they stop supporting their chips once a new one comes out.

Sandy Bridge is stuck with OpenGL 3.1, even though the hardware is capable of OpenGL 3.3. This is both Windows and Linux.

So yeah, don't expect too much from Haswell. One year of support and Intel will call it a day.
            Have to strongly disagree - they did hell of the work in 3.9 to fix ancient pentium 4 IGP that I use. It has working OpenGL and prior was completely broken...!
            But right now I type this from Samsung R60 from 2009, and its AMD Xpress 1250 GPU is in broken state even today.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
              Have to strongly disagree - they did hell of the work in 3.9 to fix ancient pentium 4 IGP that I use. It has working OpenGL and prior was completely broken...!
              But right now I type this from Samsung R60 from 2009, and its AMD Xpress 1250 GPU is in broken state even today.
              Lucky you. I have an Atom system that still doesn't have any form of hardware acceleration; an X3100 that has stopped receiving updates completely; a Sandy Bridge that's limited to OpenGL 3.1 when the hardware supports 3.3.

And, of course, the OpenGL driver is full of random bugs that bite you when you least expect it.

So color me not impressed by one random Pentium4 bugfix.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                Hey, I have an old laptop with a Pentium 4 that has completely broken Intel video on most newer versions of Linux (it's running Wary Puppy right now because that is about the only recent Linux that works). Does this mean there's a chance that if I go to a brand new Linux it might start working again?

Comment

Working...
                X