• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Now we need:
    • Good SLI support on Linux
    • Overclocking
    • PhysX
    • EGL with support for wayland compositors

At least the EGL part looks like it might not be a dream forever, since they already added some EGL support.

I have used MSI and ASUS GPU Tweak tools on Windows. I always wondered how such a simple application can set the GPU voltage and frequency. It doesn't even require any privileges to do so. What if someone writes a virus that just overvolts the shit out of peoples video cards?
    Why do we need physx? I'm not aware of any physx titles that were ported to linux.

Also, while you still need Windows for this, I personally find it easier to overclock by editing the BIOS. Then you don't need to remember the settings and any drivers you use will work. Most GPUs have several clock settings, each of which can be manually edited, so you don't have to worry about wasting power.

I would have to agree that EGL would be nice to have.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      I have used MSI and ASUS GPU Tweak tools on Windows. I always wondered how such a simple application can set the GPU voltage and frequency. It doesn't even require any privileges to do so. What if someone writes a virus that just overvolts the shit out of peoples video cards?
      They use NVAPI, an API that NVIDIA licenses to partners to perform precisely those tasks. This way those kinds of operations have to go through their code. They seem to be pretty selective in how they license it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Why do we need physx? I'm not aware of any physx titles that were ported to linux.
        *cough* Metro:LL *cough*

Comment

Wow, so now there is an incentive for nVidia gamers to install Linux instead of Windows.

Comment

i was really hoping for metro: last light benchmarks as that game was released as a final version a few days ago.

Comment

This is exactly the article i needed before black friday

Comment

I use a AMD Radeon 7850 for 1 year but I'm going to return to Nividia Land soon. As a gamer, I saw most of wine game run better with a Nvidia card. The fault to Wine or Amd drivers? Even AMD made a lot of progress with their Linux drivers, it's not enough! The drivers are still not enough stable and performant! Perrhaps the performance and optimization will come from the open source gallium?

Look at this post from Dolphin Emulator dev, a statement about graphic card hardware/drivers support on Linux plateform:
                In light of the recent announcements by NVIDIA and AMD in support of Linux for their graphics drivers, we would like to share with the world some of the experience we had developing our open source project, Dolphin, a GameCube and Wii emulator for Windows, Linux, Mac and recently Android....

Comment

Originally posted by legluondunet View Post
                  I use a AMD Radeon 7850 for 1 year but I'm going to return to Nividia Land soon. As a gamer, I saw most of wine game run better with a Nvidia card. The fault to Wine or Amd drivers? Even AMD made a lot of progress with their Linux drivers, it's not enough! The drivers are still not enough stable and performant! Perrhaps the performance and optimization will come from the open source gallium?

Look at this post from Dolphin Emulator dev, a statement about graphic card hardware/drivers support on Linux plateform:
                  https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09...all-fameshame/
                  I would guess the fault is from the AMD drivers, not Wine. I haven't tried Wine myself, but AMD drivers are full of problems even with native Linux games.

Comment

Working...
                  X