Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN: Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu 13.10

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,415

    Default NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN: Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu 13.10

    Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN: Windows 8.1 vs. Ubuntu 13.10

    Last week on Phoronix there was the first Linux review of the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti that also included results from other GeForce GTX 700 GPUs -- including the TITAN -- and earlier Kepler and Fermi GPUs while on the AMD side was a range of Radeon graphics card up to and including the AMD Radeon R9 290. For today's Linux review to kick off a new week of benchmarking is a closer look at the NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN when running Ubuntu Linux and comparing the OpenGL performance to Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19375

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Calling the nvidia proprietary driver anything other than mature is an ignorant statement. If you want to buy a graphics card to play modern games on Linux, grab an nvidia one. You'll be highly disappointed with AMD's performance on linux compared to windows.
    In before the FSF brigade bragging about how amazing their barely functioning opensource drivers are.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    In before the FSF brigade bragging about how amazing their barely functioning opensource drivers are.
    Yes, they're amazing and they're much younger than nvidia blob. Does nvidia support KMS and Wayland? Not everyone wants to run closed blobs on his PC while there are Open Source drivers available. I'm using it, because I'm a gamer and this is an only reason.

    It seems Linux is much faster. Just port all windows games to Linux and forget about windows as a gaming platform.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Awesome work, looking forward to OpenCL benchmarks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Damn, I am bit jealous right now. The difference between radeon on Linux and windows differs more than Nvidia cards. I hope AMD will make some good drivers. And it seems that OSS drivers can be much faster than blob, so blob is just temporary benchmark.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    Calling the nvidia proprietary driver anything other than mature is an ignorant statement. If you want to buy a graphics card to play modern games on Linux, grab an nvidia one. You'll be highly disappointed with AMD's performance on linux compared to windows.
    In before the FSF brigade bragging about how amazing their barely functioning opensource drivers are.


    You know that Nouveau driver is faster per Hz than Nvidia's? Also Catalyst cheats alot on windows, less accuracy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,001

    Thumbs up

    Great comparison Phoronix. Kudoz!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ฿ 16LDJ6Hrd1oN3nCoFL7BypHSEYL84ca1JR
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    In before the FSF brigade bragging about how amazing their barely functioning opensource drivers are.
    Barely functioning?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by artivision View Post
    You know that Nouveau driver is faster per Hz than Nvidia's? Also Catalyst cheats alot on windows, less accuracy.
    Cheats how? Catalyst involves a lot of built-in micro-optimizations but so does nvidia. The only difference is it seems the catalyst optimizations are API specific, so with directX not existent on linux, we don't get the extra performance boost.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Cheats how? Catalyst involves a lot of built-in micro-optimizations but so does nvidia. The only difference is it seems the catalyst optimizations are API specific, so with directX not existent on linux, we don't get the extra performance boost.
    One widely-quoted example: R11F_G11F_B10F.

    In that one, as long as Catalyst AI is enabled, it converts 64-bit or 128-bit floating point textures used by several dx9 games to the 11-11-10 format.
    This drop in precision is visible in most of them, and done behind the game's back.

    It also increases the fps some 20% depending on the game, and the quality loss is not easily noticable to many people. Still, this is a prime example of cheating, as the AI is on by default.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •