Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 4.9 Compiler Supports IBM's Super-Fast POWER8

Phoronix: GCC 4.9 Compiler Supports IBM's Super-Fast POWER8

While GCC 4.9 is now in a feature-freeze mode, the open-source compiler that will be introduced in 2014 has improved PowerPC support, including IBM's POWER8 architecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

up to 96MB of L3 cache
    Holy shit.

Comment

Power8 is going to be big deal, ibm is finally being serious about low end and competing with Intel. They are making open power consortium, tyan(server mobo maker) and nvidia already joined. Ibm needs to sell power8 in volume or else they must sell of their fab. And powerlinux is what they offer in low end. Gonna be interesting.

Comment

I wonder if this will ever spill out of enterprise server-class and into the mobile and desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
          I wonder if this will ever spill out of enterprise server-class and into the mobile and desktop?
          Mobile, probably not. But maybe Tyan makes some workstation-class motherboards, so it will maybe be possible to build an workstation with Power8. It will of course run only Linux, for AIX and IBM i, you need PowerVM, which will probably require expensive IBM-made system.

Comment

Let me backtrack on that, Open Power Consortium announcement said something about ARM-style licensing, so while the full-blown Power8 is unsuitable for mobile, a 2-core or 3-core Power7 derivative on thinner technology process might be licensed to someone who might then make CPU for some Android tablets or something of that sort.

So it is possible, IBM needs to make chips, any chips, to keep East Fishkill plant viable after 22nm shift.

Comment

Working...
            X