The Gambas Project: It's Like Visual Basic On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    So what problem does it solve again? I haven't heard any clear reason, just blabber about "fun".
    Virtual machines etc etc have been around and this doesn't solve any problem either, yet another solution just like those worthless 1000 Linux distros.
    What problem do you solve mark45?
    You don't add anything to the discussion, you just criticise things that YOU think are worthless.
    I believe you can't actually think of anything constructive to say, so poorly criticise instead.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
      Create 100% functional guis in a matter of seconds.
      Working with multiform applications is just a breeze.

Gambas is the best RAD on linux today, really.

Check it out, then speak.
      Yep, that was always the strength of VB. As a language, well... let's just say it has issues. But as a tool for rapid design and development of GUI applications? It's pretty much unsurpassed... particularly for an audience who aren't full-time coders and don't want to spend time learning frameworks and tools.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
        That Dijkstra quote is really stupid. Basic is similar to most other programming languages.
        I assume you never saw the BASICs from back when Dijkstra said that, or you never had to read or fix the spaghetti code that resulted from them?

Of course it doesn't apply to modern BASICs anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaJon View Post
          The Lazarus IDE is awkward, compared to Gambas.
          The Lazarus IDE could use some love, indeed...

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaJon View Post
            The Lazarus IDE is awkward, compared to Gambas.
            How so? How is it awkward?

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
              I assume you never saw the BASICs from back when Dijkstra said that, or you never had to read or fix the spaghetti code that resulted from them?

Of course it doesn't apply to modern BASICs anymore!
              I don?t know when he said that so I can?t answer that question. But anyway that quote makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                Am I the only one who thought "Why?" the entire time while reading it?

What problem is this solving? Did someone sit down and go, "Wow I wish I could code in visual basic on linux"?
                Exactly. That is what Free (Open Source) Software is all about, someone has an itch, and scratches it then shares it in case anybody else wants to as well. But the main point is, to scratch their own itch, not yours.

So there is not a "Why?", but a "Why not?" Its their time and effort, their pet project, their hobby, etc.
                That is why someone will always make another distro, another text editor, another programming language, another codec, etc. That is the nature of it, there is not a central planning committee or a company manager to "better" allocate resources.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                  I don?t know when he said that so I can?t answer that question. But anyway that quote makes no sense.
                  He said it back in the days when BASIC dialects often didn't have any way to structure programs: no subroutines (so no functions, etc.) or only primitive ones, no variable scoping, no structured types, ...

Of course it was an exageration/generalisation, but he was referring to the fact that, in order to learn proper structured programming, the students who learned programming on their home computer in BASIC had to "unlearn" all the hacks & jump spaghetti they used/needed in BASIC. And as we all know: unlearning is even more difficult than learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                    How so? How is it awkward?
                    Lazarus uses multiple windows, and a complex menu structure. It is tiresome to move or shrink these windows when you're working on other jobs. The Gambas IDE unifies all of the different elements into one window, and has a very clear layout. If you install Gambas3, you can easily see the difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X