Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gambas Project: It's Like Visual Basic On Linux

Phoronix: The Gambas Project: It's Like Visual Basic On Linux

Gambas is an open-source development environment based on a Basic interpreter and with support for object extensions. It's been compared to Visual Basic, but Gambas supports Linux and is GPLv2 software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Visual Basic's golden days are over long ago. Trying to reproduce it is silly & a waste of time, not to mention the Linux folks aren't fond of Microsoft solutions. Just like with Mono - lots of hot air & little real traction.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Visual Basic's golden days are over long ago. Trying to reproduce it is silly & a waste of time, not to mention the Linux folks aren't fond of Microsoft solutions. Just like with Mono - lots of hot air & little real traction.
      Did you actually read the article or do you just want to hate?
      Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Gambas isn't trying to achieve any Visual Basic re-implementation or compatibility: it's just comparing itself to VB in terms of ease of use, etc.

Comment

Is it a solution that only supports linux?

Comment

Neat, I'll check this out sometime. I always heard there was nothing like visual basic but I guess I have to watch what I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
            Is it a solution that only supports linux?
            From the FAQ:
            Is Gambas multi-platform?

In the future, I hope there will be a simple answer: "yes!". Right now, there are reports of people compiling Gambas under BSD and Win32/Cygwin.

Comment

Am I the only one who thought "Why?" the entire time while reading it?

What problem is this solving? Did someone sit down and go, "Wow I wish I could code in visual basic on linux"?

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                Did you actually read the article or do you just want to hate?
                Yes, it's worthless just like I said. Did you? What problem does it solve?
                It's like Hurd and other worthless projects.

Comment

Now, would you like to tell us which projects you work on that are not "worthless"? If you had actually looked into the project you would know why it was developed:
                  I did it for fun too! I do like writing compilers, interpreters, virtual machines...
                  This is only one of the reasons, but I guess you didn't even look at their website. Now tell us again why it is worthless, since it clearly solves a problem.

Comment

Am I the only one who thought "Why did mark45 parents create him?" What problem does he solve?
                    He's like peppercats and other worthless people.

Comment

Working...
                    X