Canonical Commits To Mir For Ubuntu 14.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
    As of 11:24 EST, it still reads "... they remain turned on by their own display server...". Michael, that's gross, unprofessional and totally improper.
    Oh come on, don't be such a prude.

My computer gets turned on every time I push her buttons (yes, she's a girl), and she can get quite hot when overclocked, but noone's bothered by that.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      Oh come on, don't be such a prude.

My computer gets turned on every time I push her buttons (yes, she's a girl), and she can get quite hot when overclocked, but noone's bothered by that.
      So, I'm a prude am I? Want me to write a raunchy short story about your mother and see how prudent I really am?

I would appolgize before the "creative juices" start flowing (ha, word play) and I post a story here for you to read. I think I will include michael in this story as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        Why didn't they go with Wayland again?
        Control. They like to be the ones deciding the changes and pushing out updates for their own distro. That's really it in a nutshell. Someone else in this thread also talked about how Mir and Unity won't need compiz or something like that.

EDIT: Added quote.
        Originally posted by Pajn View Post
        With Mir Unity isn't a Compiz plugin any more, it's a full compositor and window manager (if they had gone the Wayland path it would also have had to be a display server)

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
          With Mir Unity isn't a Compiz plugin any more, it's a full compositor and window manager (if they had gone the Wayland path it would also have had to bee a display server)
          Yes, with Wayland it also would have to be a display server. With Mir Mir has to be the display server, so they are not saving any work, except the work of being standard compliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            Yes, with Wayland it also would have to be a display server. With Mir Mir has to be the display server, so they are not saving any work, except the work of being standard compliant.
            Yes I know, I didn't mean it that way. I just wanted to illustrate the radical change in Unity 7 vs. Unity 8.
            The only thing they really share is the scope plugins and the desktop UX spec.

Comment

Originally posted by faildozer View Post
              Even though I'm a Wayland supporter, I'm thankful Mir exists. So many people are complaining about more fragmentation of the Linux community, but what I've seen here hasn't even been close to fragmentation. Instead I've seen the full effects of competition in demonstration. While breeding hate, it has also bred innovation and has greatly accelerated adoption and development rates as people feel the need to actively choose sides. This is what open-source (and capitalism) is all about.

If Mir didn't come around, I think Wayland adoption would still be low, and we wouldn't be getting things like KDE and Gnome coming to it until mid-2015/16.
              This has been claimed and refuted many times before. Canonical said publicly that they'd work on Wayland. For 9 months they stopped all work on Wayland without giving notice that someone else should pick up. Aside from that lost 9 months, they didn't really work on Wayland much. If after announcing "we'll use Wayland" they actually committed the amount of developers towards Wayland as they did with Mir, then we'd be much further ahead. This purely speaking on behalf of GNOME.

Basically: "We'll make Wayland happen", then rest "Good idea, we'll follow". Then rest: "wtf, nothing has happened and you deliberately didn't say you committed to something else".

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post
                This has been claimed and refuted many times before. Canonical said publicly that they'd work on Wayland. For 9 months they stopped all work on Wayland without giving notice that someone else should pick up. Aside from that lost 9 months, they didn't really work on Wayland much. If after announcing "we'll use Wayland" they actually committed the amount of developers towards Wayland as they did with Mir, then we'd be much further ahead. This purely speaking on behalf of GNOME.

Basically: "We'll make Wayland happen", then rest "Good idea, we'll follow". Then rest: "wtf, nothing has happened and you deliberately didn't say you committed to something else".
                Refuted? You honestly believe words can accuratly predict reality? Only a fool says "what if" is fact.

Comment

Refuted? You honestly believe words can accuratly predict reality? Only a fool says "what if" is fact.
                  And that's exactly why so many people distrust Canonical... because experience has taught us that their words mean little, and are regularly contradicted by their actions, and followed by new words explaining how their old words were "misunderstood".

Comment

I reflected on things that occured. I don't see what prediction has to do with it.

As mentioned, I said Canonical made a commitment and didn't stick to it and that had an influence and delayed things with Wayland. If you have something specific to anything I said, feel free. But at the moment you're not making much sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X