Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canonical Commits To Mir For Ubuntu 14.10

Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Canonical is back in black! Ready to crush the haters! Mir is here to stay!
    BO$$, your trolling is so much more fun and effective when you have the first comment. You need to reply faster to Mir articles!

Well, sticking to wayland means writing a display server from scratch anyway. Wayland is just a protocol definition, nothing more. Weston is just a reference implementation, which is not intended to be a fully-featured DE.

The decision is only - to obey the protocol, which probably is going to get bloated (just like the anti-Unix-way systemd) and multiplies maintenance costs, or just define small protocol just for us, that will be small and easy to maintain, without thousands of ridiculous extensions and hacking around - that's the X (which is anti-Unix-way too btw.). Single responibility, small programs, that do one thing well, not overbloated which are going to generate a lot of problems in the future, because of its complexity. That's Mir.

Unhappy

it's so sad how full of shit Canonical is these days. and to thing that long, long ago i was installing Ubuntu from their official CDs...

Quote Originally Posted by Siekacz View Post
    or just define small protocol just for us, that will be small and easy to maintain, without thousands of ridiculous extensions and hacking around
    But with the needs to maintain patches for any toolkit and a whole bunch of drivers. I really doubt that maintaining Mir + toolkits is less of work than maintaining a Wayland compositor without the needs for maintaining toolkits and drivers out of tree. Unity is just a Compiz plugin anyways, how hard could it be to maintain on top of Weston?

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    But with the needs to maintain patches for any toolkit and a whole bunch of drivers. I really doubt that maintaining Mir + toolkits is less of work than maintaining a Wayland compositor without the needs for maintaining toolkits and drivers out of tree. Unity is just a Compiz plugin anyways, how hard could it be to maintain on top of Weston?
    With Mir Unity isn't a Compiz plugin any more, it's a full compositor and window manager (if they had gone the Wayland path it would also have had to bee a display server)

Even though I'm a Wayland supporter, I'm thankful Mir exists. So many people are complaining about more fragmentation of the Linux community, but what I've seen here hasn't even been close to fragmentation. Instead I've seen the full effects of competition in demonstration. While breeding hate, it has also bred innovation and has greatly accelerated adoption and development rates as people feel the need to actively choose sides. This is what open-source (and capitalism) is all about.

If Mir didn't come around, I think Wayland adoption would still be low, and we wouldn't be getting things like KDE and Gnome coming to it until mid-2015/16.

Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Canonical is back in black! Ready to crush the haters! Mir is here to stay!
    So Canonical is the Manowar of Linux distros?

Quote Originally Posted by Siekacz View Post
    That's Mir.
    I just don't like the name. It should be called Voyna.

Default Not fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Fixed, thanks. Tired would be correct, not German beer. I rarely drink beer these days... maybe once or twice a month?
    As of 11:24 EST, it still reads "... they remain turned on by their own display server...". Michael, that's gross, unprofessional and totally improper.