No announcement yet.

KDE's Kdenlive Video Editor Has Gone Dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An example of the interesting development conversations taking place in the mailing list.

Hi,

bammebaby@... wants to follow you.

****** Is bammebaby@... you friend? ******
    If Yes please follow the link below:
    (spam)

If No please follow the link below:
    (spam)

Follow the link below to remove yourself from all such emails
    (spam)

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
      Meanwhile, in the 179th issue of the magazine "Linux Format UK", from January 2014, Kdenlive was chosen as the best video editor.
      'The best' is a big claim. Kdenlive probably considers themselves only part-way done after they've taken on the whole GPU-acceleration dealio in 0.97. They must be referring to at least 0.96 in all it's does really well with some bugs state?
      Last edited by stiiixy; 09 April 2014, 07:43 AM.
      Hi

Comment

Kdenlive 0.9.6 is current RELEASED verrsion, 0.9.7 is development

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
        'The best' is a big claim. Kdenlive probably considers themselves only part-way done after they've taken on the whole GPU-acceleration dealio in 0.97. They must be referring to at least 0.96 in all it's does really well with some bugs state?
        I'm sure it was 0.9.6 or something earlier and released that was tested! Version 0.9.7 is a develoment release and the Kdenlive website states you need to use the older version for any actual work as of now. No other Linux video editor can even remotely approach Kdenlive for full featured functionality. When the GPU work gets debugged, debottlenecked, and released, that will make Kdenlive a world-class video editor.

As for multicore playback, the input files have to be in a format where ffmpeg supports multithreading, all cores are used with my AVCHD/H264 files.

Comment

Sorry to necro bump but...

Update on this matter, JBM left this on the mailing list:
          Hi,

It seems a bit hard to organize an IRC meeting these days with all the year's
          end's events, so I propose to postpone it to January 2015.

In the meantime I did sum up the current state & plans for Kdenlive for the
          next months on KDE's wiki:

Basically, the Qt5/KF5 port is now done, and my plan is to work on the
          Kdenlive / MLT interactions by borrowing some ideas/code from Shotcut - Dan's
          work is always a great source of inspiration . This should allow us get rid
          of some unnecessarily complicated code (that is left from the time where
          Kdenlive communicated with MLT only through xml playlists), and is a good
          opportunity to do some cleanup and reorganization.

I planned a 3 step refactoring, which should hopefully allow for a smooth
          transition and be manageable within a reasonable timeframe. I started work on
          the first step and will try to blog about the process. If any of the other
          developers have ideas or comments about this plan or other things, you are
          welcome.

And for those who are wondering, I stopped working on Kdenlive for 1.5 year
          partly because of health issues but I have now fully recovered and the
          feedback from the community (thanks for the KDE award) and from Vincent
          greatly helped me to get back to Kdenlive!

regards
          jb
          A big congratulations to JBM on his recovery!

In related news it seems OpenShot has gone dark as the last written update on development was made in July and the last message that can be tracked to the developer on the matter is from mid October and it says "I am working on a big update for everyone! Sorry for the delay on news, it's been an action packed couple of months for OpenShot! Lots of updates coming soon! Thanks!"

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
            Update on this matter, JBM left this on the mailing list:

A big congratulations to JBM on his recovery!

In related news it seems OpenShot has gone dark as the last written update on development was made in July and the last message that can be tracked to the developer on the matter is from mid October and it says "I am working on a big update for everyone! Sorry for the delay on news, it's been an action packed couple of months for OpenShot! Lots of updates coming soon! Thanks!"
            I sure am glad to hear Kdenlive didn't die on the vine. I love the software and count on it for creating the content i upload to the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
              I fail to see how that equates to OpenShot "going dark".

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                I fail to see how that equates to OpenShot "going dark".
                The public hasn't actually seen any new code rise from the project in years, he did a fundraiser and promised a 2.0 in December 2013. There kept being delays and everyone was fine with that because the developer frequently released "updates" on progress. Well, his last update on progress was in July and there's been complete radio silence since October despite lots of questions being asked on his website and kickstarter page.

Comment

Working...
                X