No announcement yet.

KDE's Kdenlive Video Editor Has Gone Dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only real solution is using Lightworks - they just released new version 11.5

Hopefully JBM is all right.
    I'm saddened bout KDEnLive cause I've use it for a long time.

Comment

Keep changing....

I recently moved away from Cinelerra-CV because it seems dead too. I started using KDENLIVE some months ago and am very pleased by it. It reminds me of Adobe or the video editor of MainConcepts under Linux.
      Now, maybe going to look for yet another editor again.. :-(

I tried to find JBM and could only find an (old?) address in Lausanne (CH) and phone number, nothing else.
      He has not published any new books, at least not that I could find, since 2012 too.

Hop he's alright and maybe drop a note to tell us so and maybe the future of kdenlive.

Comment

actually now that I think of it I read somewhere that the developer of MLT was moving his efforts towards another NLE. I thought that's what I remember reading somewhere, maybe even on the kdenlive forums. Maybe I can get some info from sunab's ppa for ubuntu packages. i think i can find his email and maybe ask if he knows anything.

I have been sort of watching Lightworks but I have not tried it yet. It's not free if you want to export to normal codecs like 264 and aac. (i don't think it's free anyway) The basic version is free but if you can't export to h264 and aac (or even mp3) unless you pay money for it than it's pretty worthless to me.

Comment

i recall reading something somewhere that the developer of the melt (mlt) framework was going to be moving onto another project and not focus on kdenlive anymore (i think, don't quote me) but here's something interesting. sanub keeps a PPA for ubuntu packages and he last updated the packages on 10-30-2013. at least that's newer than July. lol

i noticed lightworks beta came out months back and when I looked into it you had to pay to be able to export to certain codec like h264 and aac. If I do make the move from kdenlive it will be to another completely free open source software not one that I have to pay for.

Comment

Lightworks is NOT open source

Originally posted by sgtGarcia View Post
            The only real solution is using Lightworks - they just released new version 11.5

Hopefully JBM is all right.
            I'm saddened bout KDEnLive cause I've use it for a long time.
            Unless Lightworks permits downloads without forming an account, they are automatically out of consideration for my purposes. Unless they publish source code, they cannot be audited for security. They can be checked against "phone home" behavior with something like Wireshark, but I don't want to run software where that's an issue. If you have to form an account, that puts it into a category similar to "cloud" editors, totally unsuited to working with clips that may include material that must be removed, cannot be published, and must be stored encrypted to lock out the cops and the FBI. I don't run proprietary drivers either on systems that handle these clips either.

If Kdenlive development stops, I will simply keep the kdenlive I've got and force the rest of my OS to be compatable with it, even if that means keeping a 2013 era snapshot on a "video editing partition" permanently. I will see how far into the future I can build the kdenlive source I just downloaded today, and how far into the future I can run the portable kdenlive build in its own folder full of libraries I got a few months back. I won't install any update to anything that breaks them, now or in the future unless another true FOSS editor catches up to where Kdenlive is right now. Hell, Cinelerra is REALLY old code, yet will still run under Ubuntu if the 2010(Lucid) version is used, just can't handle the take from modern cameras,

If nobody is up to maintaining kdenlive in the sense of continuing development, it would be enough to rename today's version as 1.0, halt new development, and only focus on preventing future changes to KDE or display servers from breaking it. I have no idea if I can do that myself for my own use, fallback is a video editing partition holding today's entire OS. I'm not dumping Kdenlive for anything else I've seen available no matter what.

Wonder if the Openshot crew, using the same MLT/ffmpeg back end, will try to implement the Kdenlive features they are missing right now?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
              Wonder if the Openshot crew, using the same MLT/ffmpeg back end, will try to implement the Kdenlive features they are missing right now?
              Openshot 2.0 is not using MLT. It's using their own video editing engine.

You may want to take a look at shotcut editor. No idea how good it is, just found out about it 2 seconds ago:

Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux

Comment

Shotcut is more like AVIdemux than Kdenlive

Originally posted by ModplanMan View Post
                Openshot 2.0 is not using MLT. It's using their own video editing engine.

You may want to take a look at shotcut editor. No idea how good it is, just found out about it 2 seconds ago:

http://www.shotcut.org/
                I've got Shotcut in a local folder, was playing with its GPU acceleration features. As of a few months ago, it does not use a multitracking timeline, is more useful for applying an effect to or transcoding a single clip or portion therof. I used AVIdemux to compress outputs from Kdenlive to smaller H264 files until I figured out how to get kdenlive to call libx264 with the same or similar parameters and get similar quality. Still use AVIdemux when I need to redo an audio track and mix it back in without rerendering, as it supports ffmpeg copy. I've played with Shotcut for fixing old videos that were shot on a garbage camera that outputed 20fps video with a lot of jelly roll-and occasional dropped/repeated frames.

Comment

I began evaluating video editors and Kdenlive was just the best.

Comment

A Little Shotcut at a time

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                    I've got Shotcut in a local folder, was playing with its GPU acceleration features. As of a few months ago, it does not use a multitracking timeline, is more useful for applying an effect to or transcoding a single clip or portion therof. I used AVIdemux to compress outputs from Kdenlive to smaller H264 files until I figured out how to get kdenlive to call libx264 with the same or similar parameters and get similar quality. Still use AVIdemux when I need to redo an audio track and mix it back in without rerendering, as it supports ffmpeg copy. I've played with Shotcut for fixing old videos that were shot on a garbage camera that outputed 20fps video with a lot of jelly roll-and occasional dropped/repeated frames.

I opened a .kdenlive file in Shotcut to get a smaller H264 file. I was amazed the file opened, and that all my transitions and effects were processed correctly in Shotcut, even though Shotcut does not natively support them. I had to watch their online video to figure out how to use it, since it's not timeline based.

Comment

Shit poop bugger bum! I was enjoying using this piece of software. I was migrating over to KDE-orientated apps gradually over the last two years as they improved and this one was just creamy-goodness!
                      Hi

Comment

Working...
                      X