Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Touch Has Many Plans For Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Phoronix: Ubuntu Touch Has Many Plans For Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Besides the other UDS sessions this week that were already covered on Phoronix, many discussions took place about plans to improve Ubuntu Touch during the Ubuntu 14.04 LTS cycle. Canonical developers feel very hopeful and ambitions for their phone/tablet plans in the next six months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So they've completely given up on the desktop?

Will there be any other companies out there coming along that are interested in making a Linux desktop? Or are we going to slip back into the Dark Ages?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      So they've completely given up on the desktop?

Will there be any other companies out there coming along that are interested in making a Linux desktop? Or are we going to slip back into the Dark Ages?
      Wow, I don't think I've read a less dumber comment than that. Although most people here appear to be on an anti-Canonical/Ubuntu rampage.

Canonical is giving their "convergence" thing a go, if it succeeds then awesome, a fully functional Desktop/Mobile hybrid OS; If not then the Ubuntu Foundation will continue Ubuntu's legacy, without commercial support and might reduce itself to the likes of Linux Mint, "just another distro". Also, most of you guys seriously need to remember what Ubuntu's been doing for the desktop OS.

Comment

Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
        most of you guys seriously need to remember what Ubuntu's been doing for the desktop OS.
        Which is...?

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
          Which is...?
          Coming from Redhat, Slackware, Mandrake, Corel, and Debian, I can attest Ubuntu made huge strides by being the first simple and coherent distribution with a focus on "just working" for desktop users. They combined the following:
          • Making an installer that was simple and also worked as a live CD (inspired by Knoppix)
          • Reducing the number of installed applications to a small usable set instead of the kitchen sink
          • Making printers and sound just working
          • Making flash, java and codecs work out of the box
          • Making the proprietary drivers for your GPU card just work
          • Making Wifi and networking just work
          • Making the boot process fast and without cryptic messages
          • Making a window manager that actually tries to maximize the usable work area on small and wide screens
          • Based on a distro with a solid update system and huge package library (apt-get rocks!)
          • Having frequent and predictable updates with LTS releases mixed in

Well Ubuntu was not necessarily the first and only distro working on these things. But they managed to make the right combination at the right time and make Linux known for ordinary users. These days people seem to get a kick out of bashing Ubuntu for every small step or experiment they make - instead of just shutting up and exercising their right to choose differently.

Jees, young people ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
            [*]Making the proprietary drivers for your GPU card just work
            I stopped reading at this point. I don't use Ubuntu anymore but as of 10.04 that 'just work' always lasted till the next kernel update. Downloading and installing drivers manually was actually easier and led to more predictable results.

Comment

/sigh
              The concentration of mindless pro-Canonical drivel ITT is so high it makes me sick. I thought moving from Ubuntuforums to Phoronix would at least let me get away from the most rabid of Ubuntu fanboys. Gosh, I was so wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
                basing our judgement
                My judgment is based on things far more important that mere inconveniences associated with drivers installation. I'm even ready to give credit where credit is due: Ubuntu did change the landscape and it did prove that desktop Linux was possible without being a chore.

But we can't forever support Ubuntu just because of what it once was. I still make virtual machines with new releases of Ubuntu - it's a part of my job to keep up with tech news. But I'm not going to install that crap for real - not until Canoncal devs come back to their senses (and for now there's little hope they ever will).

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                  I stopped reading at this point.
                  Yeah, and I stopped reading at this point...

The concentration of mindless pro-Canonical drivel ITT is so high it makes me sick.
                  Thank you. Because you are such a .... "prodigy"

But I'm not going to install that crap for real - not until Canoncal devs come back to their senses
                  Then don't. You are free to choose whatever OS makes you tick. Even though I personally would rather see Ubuntu go with Wayland, I respect Canonicals vision and their right to do as they wish with their money. I don't hang around in forums and whine and troll using cursing and name calling.

I really wish that people in these forums would post only when they have something informative and constructive on mind - and strive for keeping the communication positive and respectful.

Comment

I love how every other day there are people acusing Canonical of completely changing their course, when it was crystal clear since early 2013 that the work for Ubuntu Touch (Mir/Unity 8/Core Apps in QML) will be the future desktop stack after the next LTS (so starting 14.10). But some people just seem too retarded too read. Inb4 "Canonical is ditching GNOME!!!" posts when 14.10 repositories open.

Comment

Working...
                    X