AMD Puts Out A New Catalyst Linux Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
    They only understand the wallet voting. So just hang in there and when you upgrade your system avoid AMD hardware. And tell your friends to do the same. Show them what you think about their way of making legacy...
    Right embrace Nvidia's open source policies they are soo much better. oh wait...
    If you want faster AMD development ie more devs then buy more AMD products and when taking the survey make sure to specify Linux.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

At last a working blob for a non Ubuntu 3.12 kernel!

openSuSE 13.1 x64 here, Kernel 3.12, Xorg server 1.14.3, Mesa 10.1 git, KDE 4.11.3, ATI Radeon HD 5850

Update: OpenGL 3.1 profile works finally at Kwin's properties! 2D with it and Raster color profile is much smoother than the past

Unigine Heaven 4.0 works better here than in Win 7 x64, on the contrary Valley is very slow here whereas at Win 7 it flies!

Installed via the automatic procedure (no package creation) amd installer.

No artifacts and bugs noticed yet

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
        openSuSE 13.1 x64 here, Kernel 3.12, Xorg server 1.14.3, Mesa 10.1 git, KDE 4.11.3, ATI Radeon HD 5850
        Another openSUSE user. I remember when I was pretty much the only one here running it here. The number of openSUSE users here seem to be growing (which seems to reflect the resurgence of openSUSE in member base as a whole over the last few releases).

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Another openSUSE user. I remember when I was pretty much the only one here running it here. The number of openSUSE users here seem to be growing (which seems to reflect the resurgence of openSUSE in member base as a whole over the last few releases).
          I am an old one my friend! I used to translate compiz-fusion at Greek language back those days with Cyberorg from openSuSE building the packages and merging the strings. If you look at the defunct Compiz forums you will find me!

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
            I am an old one my friend! I used to translate compiz-fusion at Greek language back those days with Cyberorg from openSuSE building the packages and merging the strings. If you look at the defunct Compiz forums you will find me!

SO YOU'RE THE GUY!!!! Man do I have a bone to pick with you... just kidding. Glad you have started frequenting the forums here. We need more old timers coming over as there are several misconceptions about oS here (such as *buntu being a refined distro).

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
              Right embrace Nvidia's open source policies they are soo much better. oh wait...
              And where exactly did you see me saying: "AMD policy on discontinuing not so old chipsets sucks" => "Nvidia's open source policies are better" ? Please provide a quote.

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
              If you want faster AMD development ie more devs then buy more AMD products and when taking the survey make sure to specify Linux.
              You got it the wrong way around.

BTW, to those proposing switching from Catalyst to FOSS for the "legacy" AMD chipsets - not everyone can afford losing 20% of performance, running low-end hardware (like pre 4xxx).

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Hey, I have been around for a while as well. And I know there are more openSUSE users here, as seen in the default distro voting threads.

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                And where exactly did you see me saying: "AMD policy on discontinuing not so old chipsets sucks" => "Nvidia's open source policies are better" ? Please provide a quote.
                You quoted someone talking about the FOSS drivers.

Comment

I have a dual-GPU system: 6520g + 6750M. Last time I used fglrx, I had problems with brightness and suspend/resume... has that been fixed? Has anyone tried this driver with any HD6xxxM/G (evergreen / northern islands, APU/dGPU)?

I'm using the FOSS driver, and it is really good, BUT I still have problems: I get a black screen after resume from suspend (related to the APU it seems: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43829 ), and also, I need OpenCL... for which I would have to recompile everything with LLVM, manually, which I'm not technically capable of doing (mostly because I don't know how to fix things when they brake :P ).

Sadly, I will lose video decoding...

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                    2) File bug. Get to IRC. Maybe You will even get fix in 3h time
                    I could try that. Although they could just tell me "the behavior is according to spec, so please go away".

Comment

When I saw they fixed brightness issues I figured i'd give it a try.
                      The brightness slider in l4d2 still don't work (maybe a valve issue?).

Everything seems the same as the previous beta here.

Comment

Working...
                      X