AMD Puts Out A New Catalyst Linux Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siavashserver
    By the way, weeks ago a new legacy Catalyst 13.9 driver was released for Windows 7. Windows 8 and Linux users are still stuck with 13.1
    I tried 13.9-legacy on my test PCs win Win7, it does not changes anything, still same bugs as with 13.1-legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by leonmaxx View Post
      test PCs win Win7
      test PCs with Win7*

Seems like AMD waiting for next stable driver release and then also release a legacy driver.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
        It's called open source radeon drivers. You should try it some time; works a lot better.
        I have used legacy for about a year, a couple weeks ago I was finally forced to switch back to open source when upgrading Fedora 17 -> 19. As many people will say, 2D desktop performance is great (scrolling much smoother). However, my 2D engine only runs at about 70% of the catalyst speed (unless I use "high" profile). Also, timer queries perform really weird on the FOSS driver because even after a full frame cycle after having ended the query, the results will still not be available for quite some time (this never happened on legacy). Other than that the FOSS driver is pretty cool, and finally being relieved from the fear of Xorg/Kernel updates was definitely worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
          I have used legacy for about a year, a couple weeks ago I was finally forced to switch back to open source when upgrading Fedora 17 -> 19. As many people will say, 2D desktop performance is great (scrolling much smoother). However, my 2D engine only runs at about 70% of the catalyst speed (unless I use "high" profile). Also, timer queries perform really weird on the FOSS driver because even after a full frame cycle after having ended the query, the results will still not be available for quite some time (this never happened on legacy). Other than that the FOSS driver is pretty cool, and finally being relieved from the fear of Xorg/Kernel updates was definitely worth it.
          1) Did You tested 2D perf in both scenarios? Maybe r600g do not need to overclock it?
          2) File bug. Get to IRC. Maybe You will even get fix in 3h time

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            The open source drivers for AMD are so good for legacy GPUs that I was even able to use an ancient ATI RV370 from 2004 in a nearly 10 year old eMachine with Ubuntu 12.04.3 smoothly rendering Unity3D, and it actually ran a lot faster than a bare Xfce session or Unity2D.

Meanwhile, my HD 4870 machine runs pretty awesomely with open source drivers; certainly better than Catalyst does on that card. Only thing is, to get the most out of open source drivers you do need to create an Xorg.conf, and it is a good idea to have the latest kernel.

My Radeon HD 7950 runs fairly well on open source now, but it's still much better to use Catalyst. This new Catalyst driver fixed a lot of bugs I had with the last beta.

Comment

how it works on unity? 2d performance? flash?

Comment

Reading the 290 review, Catalyst driver still lacks a lot of performance.

Comment

Just tried it on mine(290x).

Yuotube vids full screen still a slide show. Not tested any games yet apart from valley benchmark. No difference in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    This driver now officially supports Linux 3.12 and should work with non-Ubuntu distributions aswell. I also expect R9 290 improvements, but that is something for Michael to try.
                    The previous release is working fine with 3.12. You just had to make sure that you didn't compile the kernel with CONFIG_UIDGID_STRICT_TYPE_CHECKS. This release is just a micro bug fixes release. Unless some undocumented enhancement is there, no chance the R9 290 situation will improve.

With recent AMD moves to open up hw specs and adding devs to the open source driver effort I think that AMD long term goal for the drivers is obvious.

However the transitory period is very painful. Each driver has its strength and weaknesses.

Want good opengl perf and good opencl 1.2: Catalyst
                    Want HW video decoding: open source

I just found out that xvba not only do not support MPEG4, it just doesn't work at all for some time:

I have a dream. Next week AMD will announce that it fully release the source code of catalyst. It that was to happen in less than a week, AMD would rule Linux graphics world with all the volunteers around the world fixing bugs and improving perfs. (It took less than 3 days after AMD release HDA controller for HDMI sound to have a working 7.1 HDMI sound driver!) Just dreaming....but would the best thing to happen for AMD product Linux owner...

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                      It's called open source radeon drivers. You should try it some time; works a lot better.
                      They only understand the wallet voting. So just hang in there and when you upgrade your system avoid AMD hardware. And tell your friends to do the same. Show them what you think about their way of making legacy...

Comment

Working...
                      X