Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspend with radeon vs radeonhd

Hi All,

I'm using gutsy on a macbook pro and suspend/resume seems to be stable with radeonhd (though not with fglrx). I'm not yet sure how stable but I'm trying to do everything to minimize risk of a crash since I have a mounted unjournaled HFS partition and want to avoid data corruption. On the other hand I would like to have 3d support and from what I understand the radeon driver does have some support for this.

My first question is if the radeon driver is likely to be less stable than radeonhd (especially the newest version including 3d support). Has anyone tested suspend/resume with this extensively? Second, is 3d support on the radeon sufficient to run compiz ;-> The card on my machine is a X1600 mobility.

thanks

On my R480 Suspend/Resume works flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
      On my R480 Suspend/Resume works flawlessly.
      Which driver are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by dpope View Post
        Which driver are you using?
        Only radeon supports r480 chips.

Comment

Yes, with radeon. I thought this was what you were asking.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
            Yes, with radeon. I thought this was what you were asking.
            Sorry I wasn't very clear in my initial post. I am asking about the radeon driver but I'm not asking about the stock (older) driver so much as the newest vesion with 3d support for r5xx cards (X1000 series). I would like to know if this version has stable suspend/resume.

Since you have an older card, mattst88, I guess you're probably using an older stable version of the radeon driver. I would like to know about the bleeding edge driver. But thanks for your response ;->

Anyone using radeon with r5xx and 3-d support? If so is suspend/resume stable?

Comment

I am also using a macbook pro (X1600). I recently switched to radeon 6.9.0 with x11-drm from git (which not only includes 3d support but vblank!) and that gives me compiz with wonderful video playing capabilities: no more flickering playing video within a video _while_ using compiz, WONDERFUL.

But I can't get suspend to work.

With fglrx the trick for me was one quirk, acpi video flags s3 bios. With that I had reliable suspend/resume, from X, and with a simple
              'echo -n mem > /sys/power/state'

What are you guys using with radeon to suspend on a r500? Anyone doing it on a macbook pro?

Comment

I got a X1650 card, suspend works flawlessly and reliably, only with framebuffer disabled however (still tinkering to try to get it working with fancy boot screen, but it's not like I need it :P ).

If your worried about your HFS partition, write a script to umount it before suspending until you know you can trust it.

or atleast do a sync; sync before suspending, that's what I do personally

Comment

You got me!
                  No matter whether I use framebuffer or not. But for me it was worse without it, I always got blank VTs.
                  What versions of packages are you using?
                  And how do you exactly resume? pm-utils?

Comment

When the DRM modesetting stuff is stabalized, there should be no more problems with this, because it's a lot less gimicky to do suspend with kernel modesetting.

Comment

Working...
                    X