NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Steams Ahead On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    I'll grant you performance, but what exactly is the problem with Intel and AMD free driver reliability?

More FUD.
    I have to honestly say that I have had more trouble with SB/IB graphics then with an nVidia graphics system. (Such as the little black box corruption when using FF, vsync, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      I have to honestly say that I have had more trouble with SB/IB graphics then with an nVidia graphics system. (Such as the little black box corruption when using FF, vsync, etc).
      I'll believe you have. My experience was different (Ivy Bridge laptop at home and nvidia GTX 460 at work) , but it's all anecdotal either way. I've found the nvidia blob to be stable, but I dread kernel upgrades.

I just don't think that Intel FLOSS drivers have grave reliability issues.

Comment

I think you should add more actual games into testing. Lets add Metro 2033, Serious Sam 3 and Natural Selection 2 to the line up. Those 3 games are the most graphic intensive we have natively.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by joeelmex View Post
          I think you should add more actual games into testing. Lets add Metro 2033, Serious Sam 3 and Natural Selection 2 to the line up. Those 3 games are the most graphic intensive we have natively.

Thanks
          As I've said before the metro game on linux doesn't have the benchmarking support that there is on windows. For the other games I don't believe there's good benchmark automated capabilities either; if there is, new test profile contributions welcome so they can be run by PTS and then in turn ill use them.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Okay I got really drunk and had crap for sleep but at what settings was heaven run at? Ultra? Those results look weird.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
              Okay I got really drunk and had crap for sleep but at what settings was heaven run at? Ultra? Those results look weird.
              All the info and steps to reproduce can be found via the phoronix test suite and openbenchmarking.org
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Have fun upgrading the kernel and finding out that you used a different version of gcc from the one nvidia used, and getting stuck in console mode to debug it.
                Never had that problem in two years. :P Arch maintainers know what they are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  All the info and steps to reproduce can be found via the phoronix test suite and openbenchmarking.org

... Let me guess, I need to load the profile in PTS to find out? Anyhow thank for the work Michael but the reason I ask is my 7870 runs circles around the 7850 in your test (ultra full 1080p), i can't imagine it being 2.5x as powerful? Lol with my crap llano processor. Either that or the AMD drivers really are hit and miss and i have been lucky as hell.

Comment

At the time of writing, the GeForce GTX 780 Ti is retailing for just over $500 USD while the GeForce GTX TITAN is still command a one thousand dollar price tag.
                    Wow, where can I buy a GTX 780 Ti for $500 USD??
                    Non Ti can he had for $500 easily. The cheapest Ti on Newegg and Amazon starts at $699.

Comment

I'll believe you have. My experience was different (Ivy Bridge laptop at home and nvidia GTX 460 at work) , but it's all anecdotal either way. I've found the nvidia blob to be stable, but I dread kernel upgrades.

I just don't think that Intel FLOSS drivers have grave reliability issues.
                      nVidia has a pretty good track record of supporting finalized kernels. I can't blame them for not issuing a new driver with every development kernel revision. Even then I find that even upgrading the nvidia driver is a lot simpler then installing the latest and greatest intel driver if it is not prepackaged.

Comment

Working...
                      X