Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Steams Ahead On Linux

Hybrid View

Default NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Steams Ahead On Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Steams Ahead On Linux

As some good news for the Linux graphics community after discovering the AMD Radeon R9 290 is currently a big disappointment on Linux (likely due to the Linux Catalyst driver not being kept up as well as the Windows Catalyst version), I was testing the GeForce GTX 780 Ti along with some other new NVIDIA GPUs and it's been a breeze. The GeForce GTX 780 Ti in particular has been a beauty on Linux and is the focus of today's Linux hardware review.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19364

Buying an AMD graphics card for Linux is throwing money away, the nvidia proprietary driver is the only thing close to a mature graphics driver.

The AMD drivers on windows are pretty crap to begin with, so it's not like... surprising.

Thumbs down

Wake me when their open source drivers beat Intel's.
    Until then, I share Linus's sentiment with regards nvidia.

Thanks for putting the GTX 760 and HD 7950 on the same benchmark.

Quote Originally Posted by giblets View Post
    Wake me when their open source drivers beat Intel's.
    Until then, I share Linus's sentiment with regards nvidia.
    Have fun with super tux cart.

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Have fun upgrading the kernel and finding out that you used a different version of gcc from the one nvidia used, and getting stuck in console mode to debug it.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Have fun upgrading the kernel and finding out that you used a different version of gcc from the one nvidia used, and getting stuck in console mode to debug it.
    Never had that problem in two years. :P Arch maintainers know what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Consider using a modern desktop linux distro instead of gnewsense.

Default Nothing wrong with open source games, try 0ad

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    I've enjoyed 0ad, another open source game for about a year now. Yes, I could pay for similar pay games if I wanted to deal with DRM, make a steam account, and run closed binaries. The only advantage would be (maybe) a multithreaded game engine on the CPU side, which is a big deal in RTS games. I would rather let the game slow down when there are 600+ fighters on screen than pay for closed development.

What do you have against Super Tux Cart anyway? Not all games were written for people with expensive systems and long hours to kill.

Default Open games and open drivers do go great together

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    What do you have against Super Tux Cart anyway? Not all games were written for people with expensive systems and long hours to kill.
    One more point: I've had GREAT results with the open Radeon driver on an HD 6750. It can play 1080p video in VDPAU, even if I pull it out of Bulldozer and drop it in a Pentium 4. Power management as same as AMD's blob, recently opened and working fine. Will display anything the CPU can send to it in 0ad, pull up to 90fps in Scorched3d's lightest maps, down to about 30 on the heaviest with many trees. Was able to play those games even back in Summer 2012. As of now, even Nouveau on a GTS450, running without the newly-released power management, has risen from 11 fps to about 30 on Scorched 3d. Parity with Radeon expected as PM code matures.