Thread: ARM Cortex-A7 Support Appears In LLVM & Clang

Default ARM Cortex-A7 Support Appears In LLVM & Clang

Phoronix: ARM Cortex-A7 Support Appears In LLVM & Clang

With Cortex-A7 cores appearing in many new ARM big.LITTLE configurations paired with higher-performance Cortex-A15 processors, support has now been added for the A7 to LLVM and Clang...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUyMTg

I don't know a whole lot about the big.LITTLE architecture, but I think it'd be really cool if Linux were designed so kernel tasks, X, the compositor, pulseaudio, bluetooth, and other background processes were all dumped to the A7 cores and then use the A15 cores for all front-end userspace applications.

I never understood why big.LITTLE needs 4 A7 cores. I think 1 or 2 is sufficient for the purposes they're supposed to fulfill, even in phones.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I don't know a whole lot about the big.LITTLE architecture, but I think it'd be really cool if Linux were designed so kernel tasks, X, the compositor, pulseaudio, bluetooth, and other background processes were all dumped to the A7 cores and then use the A15 cores for all front-end userspace applications.
    That's what will happen, assuming you're using the "full 8 cores", not the "big.little" scheduler choice. The less-cpu-using apps will be migrated to the lower cores, the more-cpu-using to the big cores.

And if you need to force a specific process somewhere, that's one command away.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    That's what will happen, assuming you're using the "full 8 cores", not the "big.little" scheduler choice. The less-cpu-using apps will be migrated to the lower cores, the more-cpu-using to the big cores.

And if you need to force a specific process somewhere, that's one command away.
    Oh nifty, good to know.