Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SquashFS Getting Major Performance Enhancements

Phoronix: SquashFS Getting Major Performance Enhancements

SquashFS is commonly used by Linux distributions as a compressed read-only file-system commonly used by the Live CD/DVD/USB versions of distributions like Ubuntu, Arch, Fedora, Debian, etc. There's some performance improvements to be merged into the Linux kernel that will make SquashFS even faster. SquashFS decompression can be multiple times faster with these patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: SquashFS Getting Major Performance Enhancements

SquashFS is commonly used by Linux distributions as a compressed read-only file-system commonly used by the Live CD/DVD/USB versions of distributions like Ubuntu, Arch, Fedora, Debian, etc. There's some performance improvements to be merged into the Linux kernel that will make SquashFS even faster. SquashFS decompression can be multiple times faster with these patches...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUyMDQ
    Anyone knows if or when this will make it into OpenWrt Barrier Breaker? I'm still running April's 12.09 Attitude Adjustment but it looks like I might have a reason to upgrade now :P

Comment

Download these Patches for Linux Kernel 3.12

Patches for Linux Kernel 3.12

Comment

Holy crap that's a huge performance boost, but at what cost? The extra RAM used might be a problem for lower-end systems.

I'm assuming this works with currently existing squashfs files? I've got 8.5GB compressed into a ~4GB file and I'd be happy if it were to load faster.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Holy crap that's a huge performance boost, but at what cost? The extra RAM used might be a problem for lower-end systems.

I'm assuming this works with currently existing squashfs files? I've got 8.5GB compressed into a ~4GB file and I'd be happy if it were to load faster.
          For the default, zlib, the extra RAM from the multithreaded code is measured in tens of K per thread. If you happen to use XZ, then a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by marcelosoaressouza View Post
            Patches for Linux Kernel 3.12

http://www.cebacad.net/files/squashfs-patches
            Patches, ha? Although I compiled my fair share of kernels, I oddly enough can't recall ever rolling my own OpenWRT... I suppose I just need to clear a weekend or two Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

The performance enhancements are optional, configured at build time.

This will work with existing squashfs files.

Comment

Working...
              X