Ubuntu To Try Switching From DMRAID To MDADM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    mdadm only supports intel raid. the problem is that the default name is Volume0, this name does not really work well. If you create intel raid then use a name without a number at the end and it will work fine to boot from (in the case you use raid 0, if you use 1 or 5 then it will only boot after it has been synced). dmraid has the main problem now that it does not support gpt at all, that means you can access gpt partitions not in the initrd, if you call partprobe (from parted) later then gpt partitions will appear as well but by default you only see mbr ones. i patched gparted (newer versions should not need that patch) to be able to format fat partitions on md devices for uefi boot, thats no problem at all. you can directly boot from uefi as well via mdadm but you always need an initrd. i tested that long ago, but ubuntu is always late
    I'm ignorant. I thought mdadm was purely software and doesn't care about things like intel raid hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
      I'm ignorant. I thought mdadm was purely software and doesn't care about things like intel raid hardware?
      mdadm can act as a front-end to Intel firmware RAID.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
        mdadm can act as a front-end to Intel firmware RAID.
        Ok, thanks! Makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
          Pretty sure he got those mixed up. mdadm only requires block devices and a kernel module to function.

Comment

uh.... I have an all-AMD system and use mdadm.... not sure what you guys are talking about...

Comment

Finally!

Maybe now I can finally have a functional Intel RAID on my desktop without all the hacks... or I could just keep using Fedora.

Comment

Working...
              X