No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Won't Be Powered By Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mir is the FOSS pan of the fucking decade.

It's over, Mir is finished!

Comment

Mir is just their way of cheating on graphics drivers (i.e. using blobs).

But what's this, promises that Ubuntu touch is not far off?

Comment

Originally posted by Decatf View Post
        Canonical has been blowing a lot of hot air recently. What have the actually delivered on?
        I've seen a lot of Anti-Mir pitchfork carriers blowing off a lot of hot air recently also. Funny, isn't it?.

Comment

Mir should be a better product if it's not the overly-ambitious rushjob that it was conceived as. This is actually good news for regular Ubuntu users who don't know/care about Mir and those anticipating Mir alike.

Comment

It's a smart move- they're sending the message that they're not willing to compromise on stability for their LTS releases, even if that means there's less buzz from the community about how Mir has 'made it'. Enterprise users (the people Canonical makes money from in the real world today) will certainly appreciate this sensible approach since, for them, Unity itself was a pretty recent development.

That said, I certainly won't be upset to be flying on Wayland by then. If I can get my hands on Sailfish OS for my phone and GNOME 3.12 is really usable on Wayland, I don't think I'll be looking back.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
              It's a smart move- they're sending the message that they're not willing to compromise on stability for their LTS releases, even if that means there's less buzz from the community about how Mir has 'made it'. Enterprise users (the people Canonical makes money from in the real world today) will certainly appreciate this sensible approach since, for them, Unity itself was a pretty recent development.
              If Ubuntu have so many enterprise customers, why do they need put ads in Unity?

Comment

Originally posted by Decatf View Post
                Canonical has been blowing a lot of hot air recently. What have the actually delivered on?
                Just a distro with a massive package base with tons of custom distro specific software on time every 6 months since 2004. You know, nothing much.

Comment

That's just an additional affirmation that Mir is killing the efforts for a next-gen display server. I think the community should now focus on fixing the problems of X.org because it's gonna live with us for quite a long time to come.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
                    It's a smart move- they're sending the message that they're not willing to compromise on stability for their LTS releases
                    That is the message they intend to send. The message I see is: "Damn, we really underestimated the work that is going into developing a display server that is up to par with the competition, we shouldn't have bragged about how fast we can do this."

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      That is the message they intend to send. The message I see is: "Damn, we really underestimated the work that is going into developing a display server that is up to par with the competition, we shouldn't have bragged about how fast we can do this."
                      Well, obviously.

Comment

Working...
                      X