Mir Now Supports Four Android GPUs/Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll believe it when I hold a real, manufactured Ubuntu touch phone

So, being relegated to 'parasitic' aftermarket, DIY, post-loading onto already sold hardware (and other vendor's driver infrastructure) is "a pretty big milestone". Oh Canonical, I'll give you an A for optimism, but where is your announcement of an actual product, made by a hardware manufacturer, who will support your Mir natively with their drivers?

Firefox OS is already out there in stores on dedicated hardware, Jolla is shipping hardware at the end of the month (Wayland powered ironically). So far the big C. only managed to bring us the PR bust called Edge. There was an edge all right, but their vaporware superphone fell right off it.

When are we going to see your converged devices for real? Even your red headed offshoot Mint has Mint branded hardware out there with the Mint box. (No, the Dell Sputnik doesn't count. Ubuntu is Linux for human beings right? Not Linux for the chosen few, with pricing starting well above the $ 1000 mark.)

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      Slowly but surely Canonical is winning, despite protests from the haters.
      I really do hate responding to you, but you only have that 10% right. They are 'winning', but only the fight against themselves.

If I was planning to run a marathon, then I would have to put the time, effort, planning, and drive to do so (I'm never going too, I don't want runner's knee, 10k's are good enough for me). If I had heckler's everyday giving me crap and telling me that I am going to fail, then unless I quit training, there is nothing they are doing that is standing in my way. Them being asshat's doesn't stop me from running. Words don't break your bones, words don't have to break your resolve, words are weak and small. Especially when from people that are small. The biggest villain to anyone trying to reach a goal is yourself. If you let people get to you and weaken your resolve, then you lose to yourself. By getting Mir working they are winning a battle against self doubt as a small resource stretched company. The detractors, no matter how nasty they are, are no less powerful than you let them be.

This post became a bit more personal than I intended, since I speak of my own experiences and the effects detractors can have on your/my life. Don't ever let anyone tell you that your less than what you want to be. If you believe it, than you will never escape that self-made prison.

Comment

Maybe they need to modify the definition of what is an application

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        A better question would be: How in hell are they going to adapt the user interface of gimp/libreoffice/blender/etc to make them run on a tablet?
        I have discussed this these aspects here

Applications as canvas
        it still need more reflexions and tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
          AFAIK, Cannonical's rejected XMir patches were/are for running a full X DE (unity 7) on top of Mir. The smartphone, tablet and future desktop releases have unity 8, running on Mir, so X apps are rootless and would not require patches on the drivers, which would only talk to Mir anyway...
          XWayland windows are also rootless and they require a patched DDX aswell as a xwayland capable xorg server. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xwayland-git/

Comment

A better question would be: How in hell are they going to adapt the user interface of gimp/libreoffice/blender/etc to make them run on a tablet?
            I believe Unity 8 will only include Qt/QML applications. A lot of KDE (which is becoming a set of independently-defined Qt libraries plus a seperate workspace) applications have mobile interfaces including Krita, Calligra, and KMail; perhaps these applications will be easily installable.

Comment

Canonical does not contribute to community projects.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                Slowly but surely Canonical is winning, despite protests from the haters.
                They are competing with Mer / Nemo / Sailfish, so let's see who'll be ahead. Nemo already promised to provide libhybris / Wayland based installation on any device where Cyanogen Mod can run.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  Canonical does not contribute to community projects.
                  Well besides a few exceptions like LXC, OpenStack, ARM kernel/toolchain/gcc (via of Linaro), Debian, Libreoffice, a number of python and go libraries, apparmor, sosreport, et al. Then there are other Canonical projects that are widely used like cloud-init (RHEL, SLES, Amazon Linux) and formerly upstart (still used on ChromeOS) and freedesktop.org contributions that were rejected like appindicators or not picked up by others (lightdm). Bzr, Launchpad... Like them or not, these things exist. Oh wait, the CLA! So something like cloud-init (the standard for bootstrapping linux cloud instances) probably doesn't count for the angry brigade.

Not that I expect to change anyone's mind. It's just nuts reading these forums where people keep talking without knowing what they are talking about because they read something on a blog somewhere or watched Greg KH complain about kernel contributions.

(yes, I have been trolled, I'll have a nice day now...)

Comment

Working...
                  X