Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open-Source Radeon UVD1 Code Is Pending Review

Default Open-Source Radeon UVD1 Code Is Pending Review

Phoronix: Open-Source Radeon UVD1 Code Is Pending Review

One of several wonderful milestones for the open-source Radeon driver in 2013 was AMD open-sourcing the UVD video acceleration code to provide video hardware decoding for modern formats with their open-source Linux GPU driver. That code though didn't support the original UVD engine but now new code is pending review for public release that provides that early hardware support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU4NjE

Lest everyone ask the same questions again this was discussed last week:
    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...nto-Mesa/page7

Damn. Looks like still no support coming for RV770, which happens to be the chip I have. I wonder what's special about that chip?

Quote Originally Posted by zman0900 View Post
    Damn. Looks like still no support coming for RV770, which happens to be the chip I have. I wonder what's special about that chip?
    RV770/RV790 were the first series released (with UVD 2.0) in RadeonHD 4000 family. After a few months AMD used UVD 2.2 in low/mid-range 4000 series.

I'm burning from the fact AMD released 5000 (supporting OGL4/D3D11, UVD 2.2 and whistles) series 2 months right after I purchased the 4890. After 2 years AMD called my card legacy and there is no burn heal for that

Default Is UVD4 fully supported?

And are there any plans to bring VCE, or whatever the encoding side is called, to linux?

Uh, I don't get how releasing the code would change anything regarding copyright infringement, given that it presently occurs even without the code.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian König
    It just doesn't has a high priority for the reviewer because we don't really sell that old hardware any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    The RS880 was popular back in the day and there's still many Radeon HD 3000 series GPUs out in the wild.
    Anyone stating that has either no clue or is intentionally misinfoming. Newegg alone lists 18 different mainboards featuring the 760G/785G/880G chipsets that are still sold. Many smaller OEMs use masses of boards with these chipsets for their cheaper AM3 systems. AMD is still making money with these chipsets.

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Anyone stating that has either no clue or is intentionally misinfoming. Newegg alone lists 18 different mainboards featuring the 760G/785G/880G chipsets that are still sold. Many smaller OEMs use masses of boards with these chipsets for their cheaper AM3 systems. AMD is still making money with these chipsets.
    Not necessarily. AMD makes money when they keep production, if those are just old, already bought, lots, it doesn't make the slightest difference to them: they stopped selling them. I don't know if this is actually the case, but it's one possibility you seem to be overlooking.
    Anyway, I hope they release it and they make it ASAP, as I have two laptops that will see benefitted from it

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    No. I don´t think so.
    AMD is presumably not making money with it, because they sold those boards to the resellers already some months/years ago. AMD can only make money of this, IF they still PRODUCE those boards/chips and still sell them to the retailers. I can also buy a "new" nvidia riva TNT graphics card at some store, but that does not earn nvidia money.

and by the way the 7xx/8xxG feature UVD 2.0 and were launched 2007/2010...
    Last edited by tomtomme; 01-29-2014 at 02:46 AM.