Australis Interface Lands In Firefox Nightly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
    I wonder why the Mozilla guys are not implementing an omnibox and sticking with a separate search bar?
    Note that the URL bar is already an 'omnibar' (with search/history/bookmarks functionality) - the search bar is just useful.

Comment

How can I avoid this new look and stay on the old look? I am using Nightly and now I am afraid to restart it because it will update itself .

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
        Maybe because omnibox serves only one purpose, i.e. making it easier for Google to spy on you?
        If you configure Chromium properly (by disabling search prediction and stuff like that), it won't spy on you.

The only downside of an Omnibox I can think of is that in case you mistype something, you end up searching it. It could be avoided by having to confirm (pressing Enter twice?) when typing something unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
          How can I avoid this new look and stay on the old look? I am using Nightly and now I am afraid to restart it because it will update itself .
          Look at the add-ons and pick up the theme of your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
            I wonder why the Mozilla guys are not implementing an omnibox and sticking with a separate search bar?
            I hate the omnibox.
            Firefox having separate search bars is a killer feature.
            It really increases my productivity a lot and makes it a lot smoother, quicker and easier to use.

Comment

I've already patched pretty much everything Australis that I want into my regular Firefox setup so, when Australis arrives, I'll be switching from Aurora to Beta and disabling auto-updates until I figure out whether it's easier to patch Australis or SeaMonkey back to my comfort zone.
              • All the UI tweaks I've currently applied to the default Firefox theme.
              • An add-on bar at the bottom, toggle-able with Ctrl+/, for my infrequently used stuff.
              • A genuine menu rather than a 1:1 aspect ratio toolbar in a panel
              • Tabs with vertical edges so I can pack them more tightly with my "allow tabs to collapse to icons" add-on.

(Replacing Australis isn't an option because, unlike extensions, Firefox themes are still subject to maxVersion and all the theme developers I've seen who go for an "ordinary" look target something less bleeding edge than Aurora.)

Comment

So... round corners everywhere and a tablet interface for the configuration. The dumbification of the world goes on. I guess I'll switch back to Lynx

Comment

fucking insanity !

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                  So... round corners everywhere and a tablet interface for the configuration. The dumbification of the world goes on. I guess I'll switch back to Lynx
                  indeed. looks like MS was right in making a desktop OS with shitty mobile interface squeezed all other the place (W8), people are eating that shit up.
                  if i would want to use Chrome or some tablet garbage, i would use Chrome or some tablet garbage, you fucking assholes !

Comment

a breath of relief and a few sighs of disbelief

After I learned on Phoronix that Australis hit the Nightly channel, I updated my browser fearing the horrors that were about to pounce on me but now after using the Australised Nightly for a couple of hours, I am comforted to find out that the browser hasn't been mutilated in any way that would make me quiver with disgust.

Actually, the only real change is that you have to push the button marked with three horizontal lines to get to a menu panel of sorts but once you work your way through this new layer of mystery, everything is pretty much the same as usual.

I am really surprised that the Australis folk didn't put the "Open File" button in the main menu and left it as an exercise to the users to add it themselves. The same goes to "Encodings", formerly found under the View menu item.

So, no disaster, some hard-to-comprehend choices and perhaps a bit more space for the page content due to the now-extinct menu bar. I don't know if it makes that much difference, but fair enough, it is a bit more of something useful.

Was it worth it? I don't think so. The same effect could be achieved by optionally collapsing the old menu bar into a button like Opera used to do it.

BUT! It looks like the find bar is back to the bottom of the window, which I think is absolutely great!!! So, thumbs up for this sane decision, Australis!

So, to sum up the experience:

Comment

Maybe it was just the version they were using but WTF is with that cupcake?

Comment

Working...
                      X