Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australis Interface Lands In Firefox Nightly

Phoronix: Australis Interface Lands In Firefox Nightly

For those ardent Firefox users, Mozilla has pushed the Australis user-interface changes into the latest Firefox web-browser builds...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I upgraded my nightly today and got it. I have to say that I love it

I played with it via the UX builds sometimes, but using it for extended periods of time is completely different. It feels a bit smoother to me than the old interface, disregarding a few glitches regarding item placement in the menu :P

I just really wish they could somehow force the tabs into the title bar on Linux...

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      I upgraded my nightly today and got it. I have to say that I love it

I played with it via the UX builds sometimes, but using it for extended periods of time is completely different. It feels a bit smoother to me than the old interface, disregarding a few glitches regarding item placement in the menu :P

I just really wish they could somehow force the tabs into the title bar on Linux...
      it is possible, it's called wayland

Comment

The screenshots looks kind of Chrome-ish. Not that I don't like it, but I learned to love my traditional Firefox UI.

Comment

Just got it, and I'm totally keeping it. Seeing as how this is one of my most commonly used applications, it would be hard to go back. I really like that they're still focusing on customizations within this polished iteration- I'm really excited for how they've made customizing the toolbar more visual.

There are still some issues due to Linux titlebars not being universally editable, therefore no saved space there. Also, it seems the start/forward button haven't landed yet.

I'm so glad I have Arch on days like today. So easy to try new stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
            it is possible, it's called wayland
            Wrong, it's called Client Side Decorations and it has to be implemented in the window manager, not the display server.
            I've opened an "issue" on the LinuxMint github repo for Muffin for them to collaborate with KDE/Xfce/etc and hopefully come up with a semi-universal CSD method that Firefox and other applications can take advantage of.

Comment

What I'm most interested in, is how responsive or "less heavy" this interface is? One gripe I've always had with Firefox is that the UI feels unusually heavy. I remember back in my Compiz days, Firefox was the one app that removed a lot of my window effects smoothness when it was on-screen.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                What I'm most interested in, is how responsive or "less heavy" this interface is? One gripe I've always had with Firefox is that the UI feels unusually heavy. I remember back in my Compiz days, Firefox was the one app that removed a lot of my window effects smoothness when it was on-screen.
                Honestly? The entire time I've used it I've felt it's MUCH less heavy. Noticeably so.
                I thought it would be this way, since 90% of Firefox's interface is rendered via Gecko and it's XUL language and I assumed that with the visual update would come a nice update/cleanup in the interface's XUL :P

Comment

I wonder why the Mozilla guys are not implementing an omnibox and sticking with a separate search bar?

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                    I wonder why the Mozilla guys are not implementing an omnibox and sticking with a separate search bar?
                    Maybe because omnibox serves only one purpose, i.e. making it easier for Google to spy on you?

Comment

Working...
                    X