Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 20 Beta vs. Ubuntu 13.10 vs. Scientific Linux 6.4

Phoronix: Fedora 20 Beta vs. Ubuntu 13.10 vs. Scientific Linux 6.4

Last week I shared results of Fedora 19 vs. Fedora 20 Beta Linux performance from an AMD Opteron system and those results were of much interest to many Phoronix readers, so to kick off a new week of Linux benchmarking are results from that system when adding in Ubuntu 13.10 and Scientific Linux 6.4 (RHEL-based) to this Linux OS comparison.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu is more faster than Fedora. Ok

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
      Fedora gets a couple of wins past the first two pages.

Comment

Faster than the Fedora beta with debugging enabled, at least. We'll have to see if that's still the case for F20 final release.

There are a few really anomalous results though. The GPUTest results where Ubuntu is about 2.5 times quicker than either Fedora version, and the Postmark test where both Fedora versions are about 4 times quicker than Ubuntu. Those are oddities, to say the least...

Comment

Ubuntu won only in graphics benchmarks. With proprietary blob or different driver performance should be the same. Fedora won much more important tests. It's probably because Ubuntu is using NOOP as a disk scheduler and Fedora is using CFQ afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            Ubuntu won only in graphics benchmarks. With proprietary blob or different driver performance should be the same. Fedora won much more important tests. It's probably because Ubuntu is using NOOP as a disk scheduler and Fedora is using CFQ afaik.
            Where can I find more information about disk schedulers?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              Where can I find more information about disk schedulers?
              I've checked kernel config in Ubuntu:

/boot/config-3.11.0-13-generic, but it seems there's some easier way:

cat /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler

I have to stand corrected - Ubuntu is using deadline. Here's some info about schedulers:

Comment

The matter is more simplified to my understanding.

Ubuntu has been tackling the issues that would cause discomfort to the Valve Source Engine, and they've been tweaking the OS for gaming, which explains its superiority as a Gaming Platform.

Remember Valve used Ubuntu to port several game titles to Linux on Ubuntu, and they reported dozens of errors on both Ubuntu and the Linux Kernel for improvements, where patches were issued and bugs were fixed.

With that being said, I believe that explains the smoothness of its gamin experience, which most of the regular non-geeky users would like to have on their boxes.

Comment

I assume Ubuntu is using Unity and Fedora is using Gnome Shell? Does this contribute to the performance difference on the graphical side?

Comment

Originally posted by CoderniX View Post
                    The matter is more simplified to my understanding.

Ubuntu has been tackling the issues that would cause discomfort to the Valve Source Engine, and they've been tweaking the OS for gaming, which explains its superiority as a Gaming Platform.

Remember Valve used Ubuntu to port several game titles to Linux on Ubuntu, and they reported dozens of errors on both Ubuntu and the Linux Kernel for improvements, where patches were issued and bugs were fixed.

With that being said, I believe that explains the smoothness of its gamin experience, which most of the regular non-geeky users would like to have on their boxes.
                    This is an idiot statement: improvements are done upstream not in ubuntu.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X