Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clang's C++ Modernizer Is Becoming More Useful

Phoronix: Clang's C++ Modernizer Is Becoming More Useful

Last year Intel proposed a tool to auto-convert C++ code into C++11 compliant code. The last time I wrote about this automatic code migrator it was called the C++11 Migrator and was still making steady progress, but that was months ago. Today we have an update on this useful utility now known as the C++ Modernizer and can auto-convert large amounts of code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really great to clean up old code, legacy code bases, unmaintained stuff, and such..

Fix bit rot...

Comment

You won't see this used for legacy programs; no one wants to go back and retest everything when its been known working for decades.

Comment

Nice idea, limited benefit so far.

One of the biggest problems that I have with the clang-modernizer and a number of other LLVM based tools is that they are highly oriented, if not dependent, on a cmake based build system. For a codebase that is only a few file, no biggie. For a large, complex codebase with various internal libraries and executables, if you use another build system -- like SCons -- you are screwed.

-p <build-path> is used to read a compile command database.

For example, it can be a CMake build directory in which a file named
        compile_commands.json exists (use -DCMAKE_EXPORT_COMPILE_COMMANDS=ON
        CMake option to get this output). When no build path is specified,
        a search for compile_commands.json will be attempted through all
        parent paths of the first input file . See:
        http://clang.llvm.org/docs/HowToSetu...ngForLLVM.html for an
        example of setting up Clang Tooling on a source tree.
        I've searched and asked on various IRC channels, and there does not seem to be any clear way to create a "compile command database" from SCons or other build systems. Please, let me know that I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
        X