Canonical Developer Criticizes Linux Mint's Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Canonical is profiting from selling paid ads in their dash, an integral part of the OS. Try whatever mental gymnastics you like, you can't get away from that basic fact.
    Get your facts straight
    They are not selling paid ads in the dash. They are simply taking an affiliate commission if someone actually buys something shown from said results from a few scopes. Huge difference but you do love to exaggerate.

Comment

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
      Get your facts straight
      They are not selling paid ads in the dash. They are simply taking an affiliate commission if someone actually buys something shown from said results from a few scopes. Huge difference but you do love to exaggerate.
      They in essence are using their dash as a gateway to selling products, just like television does. These ARE paid ads. There really is no exaggerations. Someone clicks on an ad, buys the product, Canonical gets paid. Just like crappy advertisements on websites. Television same thing, the network gets paid for air time hoping that some people will say "I need that" and go to the store and purchase it.

It is only slightly different than having the good ol' pop up ads from not too long ago. It's just instead of random "Get Russian brides!" popping up on your screen, you get whatever random thing you may be looking for on your system.

Either way it's annoying product placement.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
        They in essence are using their dash as a gateway to selling products, just like television does. These ARE paid ads. There really is no exaggerations. Someone clicks on an ad, buys the product, Canonical gets paid. Just like crappy advertisements on websites. Television same thing, the network gets paid for air time hoping that some people will say "I need that" and go to the store and purchase it.

It is only slightly different than having the good ol' pop up ads from not too long ago. It's just instead of random "Get Russian brides!" popping up on your screen, you get whatever random thing you may be looking for on your system.

Either way it's annoying product placement.
        They are using the dash as a gateway to find anything anywhere. Yes, this obviously may include stuff for sale via Amazon or any other of the shopping scopes.Yes since sending what you type to the smart scopes server it should be opt in.

Paid Television advertising or paid internet advertising is totally different to affiliate marketing. Paid advertising would mean i can pay Canonical x amount and they will display my specific product related ads to everyone in the dash. That's not what happens. Instead you are shown relevant (when only amazon questionable) results, from on line retailers , to which the retailer rewards Canonical with an affiliate commission if the lead turns into a sale. PAID ads would involve Canonical receiving money from CPM/CPC advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
          They are using the dash as a gateway to find anything anywhere. Yes, this obviously may include stuff for sale via Amazon or any other of the shopping scopes.Yes since sending what you type to the smart scopes server it should be opt in.

Paid Television advertising or paid internet advertising is totally different to affiliate marketing. Paid advertising would mean i can pay Canonical x amount and they will display my specific product related ads to everyone in the dash. That's not what happens. Instead you are shown relevant (when only amazon questionable) results, from on line retailers , to which the retailer rewards Canonical with an affiliate commission if the lead turns into a sale. PAID ads would involve Canonical receiving money from CPM/CPC advertising.
          As far as we know they're not. But what about things in the Ubuntu One Store, or whatever they call their commercial repository front-end?

Comment

Working...
          X