Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

scrolling problem with ATI drivers (Radeon X1650)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I was under the impression that most of the scrolling problems were resolved -- can you pls check that the "Smooth Scroll" option is turned off on your Firefox options ?
    I don't think they are resolved...

Sometimes, when I'm scrolling too fast, my music freeze until firefox stop scrolling. Same issue when I'm reading PDF. I've seen that xorg cpu load is about 80-90% and more when I'm scrolling. It is not only for firefox or pdf, when I'm scrolling in a terminal, or in a big text file.

And it doesn't occurs when I'm using metacity.

Xorg device section:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "Configured Video Device"
    	Driver      "fglrx"
    	Option	    "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "on"
    	Option	    "TexturedVideo" "on"
    	Option	    "TexturedVideoSync" "on"
    	Option	    "VideoOverlay" "off"
    	Option	    "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    	Option	    "Textured2D" "on"
    	Option	    "TexturedXrender" "on"
    	Option	    "UseFastTLS" "1"
    	Option	    "BackingStore" "on"
    EndSection
    I have tried some other configurations without changes.

And for video, xv works with some players in full screen only if I use compiz.

Comment

Can you try turning off XAANoOffscreenPixmaps, Textured2D and TexturedXrender ? The use of XAANoOffscreenPixmaps option was a workaround for a screen corruption issue, and I believe the other two options are work-in-progress and not released for production yet.

I don't have high confidence that these changes will improve performance but at least this gets it closer to the configuration we normally use (AFAIK).

EDIT - if you don't use aticonfig to change the settings, please also check in amdpcsdb to make sure that you don't still have "ons" there after you put "offs" in xorg.conf. In the event of a conflict between the files, amdpcsdb wins.
      Last edited by bridgman; 07 April 2008, 09:20 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Can you try turning off XAANoOffscreenPixmaps, Textured2D and TexturedXrender ? The use of XAANoOffscreenPixmaps option was a workaround for a screen corruption issue, and I believe the other two options are work-in-progress and not released for production yet.

I don't have high confidence that these changes will improve performance but at least this gets it closer to the configuration we normally use (AFAIK).

EDIT - if you don't use aticonfig to change the settings, please also check in amdpcsdb to make sure that you don't still have "ons" there after you put "offs" in xorg.conf. In the event of a conflict between the files, amdpcsdb wins.
        Ok I've tested this, changes takes effect in amdpcsdb.
        Opening windows seems to be a bit more reactive, but there is always a freeze when I'm scrolling.

Comment

Cinamax, for the video out can you try :

TexturedVideo on
          VideoOverlay off
          outputting to xv, not x11 ?

Video on the X11 output will definitely be choppy, but going out through TexturedVideo should be a lot smoother.

I was under the impression that most of the scrolling problems were resolved -- can you pls check that the "Smooth Scroll" option is turned off on your Firefox options ?
          I have smooth scroll and spell check off in firefox. Scrolling is still very "choppy" but when I have those turned on it is pretty much un-usable because it scrolls even slower.

I have used the Xv option in aticonfig which sets up those two options. I used X11 because its the only one that does not flicker when I played video under VLC. X11 output in VLC runs fine but only when the output is very small resolution/low bit rates. I had flickering problems with xv.

I'm going to check if these options help and check amdpcsdb. Thx-

Comment

There is a Compiz option which will help with the flicker when your video is playing back full screen, but that won't help with windowed video. The option is something like "unredirect full screen", or "don't unredirect...", or something equally confusing
            Test signature

Comment

Hello,

I tried with those suggested settings under Device options, but my xserver booted into a fail safe mode. What did I miss?

Comment

Hi,

The scrolling problem is not solved with catalyst 8.4 when using compiz, and there is no improvements for scolling in this release.

bridgman, do you think that it will be solved in catalyst 8.5 ?

Comment

Same problem (the annoying scrolling-issue) with intel-graphics-hardware :/

Comment

Originally posted by d@ten View Post
                    Same problem (the annoying scrolling-issue) with intel-graphics-hardware :/
                    Ok so this happens on intel's, ati's, and nvidia's but does not seem to appear on the qt4 build of FF.

Comment

workaround:

adding lines:

Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
                      Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"

to Section "Device"

works for me so far.

But no xv-playback possible now.

Comment

Working...
                      X