Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8-Way AMD Gallium3D vs. Catalyst Ubuntu GPU Benchmarks

Phoronix: 8-Way AMD Gallium3D vs. Catalyst Ubuntu GPU Benchmarks

While I'm now onto benchmarking several new NVIDIA graphics cards under Linux and also the AMD Radeon R9 290, earlier this week I ran some more open-source vs. closed-source driver benchmarks on Ubuntu Linux. Here's fresh benchmark results when comparing eight AMD Radeon graphics cards on the open (Gallium3D) and closed-source (Catalyst) drivers and running various Linux OpenGL workloads.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A critical thing to note, these tests did not use LLVM 3.4. Which will help the 7000 series on up allot.

Comment

Interesting to see the 270X and 7950 results on Xonotic in Ultimate setting... were there any rendering issues?

By the way it would be nice if there were benchmarks done with AA and/or AF.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
        A critical thing to note, these tests did not use LLVM 3.4. Which will help the 7000 series on up allot.
        Some cards branded as HD7000s or even HD8000s do not use the GCN architecture, so you should say "GCN cards" instead.

(sorry for the double post, edit delay)

Comment

Radeon 6870

The Radeon 6870 seems to be the sweet spot according to those benchmarks - worst case being 50% performance, mostly getting close to 90%.

I think that was also the last WLIV5 card, before they moved to WLIV4 for the 69xx and then a mixture of WLIV4 and GCN for later cards.

(Inclusion of the latest LLVM may change the sweetspot...)

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
            Noted in the first set of Unigine benchmarks... And in the conclusion.
            Some cards branded as HD7000s or even HD8000s do not use the GCN architecture
            AFAIK for the HD7XX series, all <= HD7600 are VLIW, the rest is GNC, don't know about the HD8xxx...

Serafean

Comment

Maybe AMD can provide ppa for LLVM with their work?

It would speed up testing. (And Oibaf could add that to his drivers then)

Comment

The names of the cards are unreadable?

Is it just me?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                  The names of the cards are unreadable?

Is it just me?
                  Works for me with firefox 25.0.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    Interesting to see the 270X and 7950 results on Xonotic in Ultimate setting... were there any rendering issues?
                    Xonotic Ultra doesn't even work with LLVM 3.4 on HD 7950.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X