Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Mir 0.1.1 Has Arrived, But Light On Features

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
    If you say so ...
    I see what you did there.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Legendary Canonical is closing in for the kill. Wayland stands no chance. Canonical is simply moving way to fast for the bedroom amateurs. Ubuntu being the only usable Linux distro, application makers would better make sure they're stuff works well on Mir. Focusing on making it work on Wayland is self destruction from them. But then again, FOSS people always seem hellbent on creating and destroying so they are forever at 1%. Anything more and they equate it with selling out....
    Classic BO$$. Waiting to see how many people will fall for his trolling again. I put the over/under at 3.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Ubuntu being the only usable Linux distro, application makers would better make sure they're stuff works well on Mir. Focusing on making it work on Wayland is self destruction from them.
    Nonsense. Application developers code against frameworks like GTK, Qt, EFL. They couldn't care less which display server is in use. You as a self proclaimed expert should know that, if you really don't then this post shows nothing but you not knowing what you are talking about.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    What if Qt won't work on Mir?
    Seeing as how Canonical is writing their apps in Qt, I think it's pretty safe to assume they will.

    Even if it means Ubuntu will come with a version of Qt they've patched to run on Mir.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    I wish I was trolling. It's just the horrible truth. If Ubuntu dies since it's not supported by the community, Linux dies on the desktop. At this point the tehnical merits of Wayland and Mir don't even count. Mir is on Ubuntu which is the most popular so people need to support it. It's that simple. Not supporting it means suicide. If everybody commits suicide then Ubuntu dies also. Then Linux dies.
    LOL.

    Legendary Canonical
    Wayland stands no chance
    bedroom amateurs
    Yeah, no trolling there. You're all just plain hard facts with no embellishment at all.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    What if Qt won't work on Mir?
    But I thought everything magically worked on Mir, and only Wayland had problems. Isn't that what you've been telling us for months?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
    Light on features don't imply lightweight to operate.
    It depends on the given implementation.
    […]
    If you say so ...
    Do I have to spell out Borat references these days?

  8. #18

    Default

    Version 0.1.1? Well that sounds...encouraging.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Every article of Mir here reminds me of this article here:

    http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/551

    The next major transition for Unity will be to deliver it on Wayland, the OpenGL-based display management system. We’d like to embrace Wayland early, as much of the work we’re doing on uTouch and other input systems will be relevant for Wayland and it’s an area we can make a useful contribution to the project.

    We’re confident we’ll be able to retain the ability to run X applications in a compatibility mode, so this is not a transition that needs to reset the world of desktop free software. Nor is it a transition everyone needs to make at the same time: for the same reason we’ll keep investing in the 2D experience on Ubuntu despite also believing that Unity, with all its GL dependencies, is the best interface for the desktop. We’ll help GNOME and KDE with the transition, there’s no reason for them not to be there on day one either.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    170

    Default

    I can't make a decision if are more funny the Bo$$'s opinion or the Mark's ones.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •