Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32-bit vs 64-bit

Hi,
    first of all, one question: does pts differ between 32-bit apps and 64-bit apps? does it download automatically 64-bit versions of used apps when it detects a 64-bit os?
    furthermore, has someone already done some benchmarks between a 32-bit and a 64-bit os on the same hardware?
    i would like to see some results
    especially the compilation should profit from it, shouldn it?

Well during the compilation tests the ./configure command should automatically select the architecture and the OS that's being used, so if your running on a 64-bit system with a 64-bit OS the binaries it builds should be of the 64-bit flavor as well. Now if that application is optimized for 64-bit in the code that's another story (mplayer for example most certainly be built optimized as it will use 64-bit specific code when 64-bit is detected). Compilation times will profit when running on a 64-bit OS, but that has more to do with the apps (ie gcc) that are doing the compilation then the app it's trying to compile.

Comment

During ./configure it should automatically go for 64-bit. There is support within the PTS environment for the architecture as well. Those scripting profiles can use an exported "OS_ARCH" variable for easily finding out the arch.

32-bit vs. 64-bit Phenom benchmarks: http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=11837
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Here is a better benchmark comparison of 32-bit vs 64-bit where 75 % of tests are not 32-bit binaries on a 64-bit OS but 64-bit binaries running on a 64-bit OS vs 32-bit binaries running on a 32-bit OS.

Comment

ok, i formulated it wrong/too vague: i meant that i would like to see benchmarks _from pts_ on the same hardware but different os (i.e. ubuntu32 vs ubuntu64 on the same hardware with pts)

Comment

Hi,

This is a useful thread that I'm digging up. My question is if I install the PTS 1.60 Debian/Ubuntu Package on a Ubuntu-64bit test unit, will the code that is installed be 64-bit and much more importantly will the test binaries that are installed be 64-bit?

I'm guessing that the complete download-cache that I created off of my 32-bit system won't be of much use on this new 64-bit test bed. Am I correct?

Thanks,
            Jon

Comment

Phoronix Test Suite is written in PHP and can run on any architecture where the PHP engine is supported.

For tests where there are 64-bit binaries available, it will automatically use them. For tests being built from source, etc, it will be 64-bit, of course. A majority of the download cache can be shared between x86 and x86_64.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
              X