Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alt-Tab Support, Exposay For Wayland's Weston

Phoronix: Alt-Tab Support, Exposay For Wayland's Weston

Interesting in the Wayland camp this week has been lots of discussions about the XDG-Shell proposal but besides that, a patch-set just appeared that finally adds alt-tab support to Wayland's Weston compositor and also updates the exposay feature...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally alt-tab on the display server level... it may sound weird but lack of it was one of my big problems with X11/Linux way back when I switched from Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by RushPL View Post
      Finally alt-tab on the display server level... it may sound weird but lack of it was one of my big problems with X11/Linux way back when I switched from Windows.
      What exactly is the issue with how it works on X11?

Comment

Originally posted by jonnor View Post
        What exactly is the issue with how it works on X11?
        Most fullscreen apps completely ignore it. There was a patch for SDL to handle alt-tab but it still does not solve the problem of switching to the desktop as not all apps use shared system SDL.

Comment

@Michael:

It think the word is "expos?"... but then I'm no orthographer.

Comment

I think you'll find the word is "expos?".

Comment

I just learned something

I feel like an idiot. I've been a Linux user for about a dozen years, and pretty good at the command line so keyboard shortcuts should be second nature to me. But thanks to this brief thread I just learned that Alt-Tab does window-switching.

Like that old saying goes, "it was hidden in plain sight."

Comment

Originally posted by fabdiznec View Post
                I think you'll find the word is "expos?".
                I'm citing it as the patch was published.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Perhaps a little "[sic]" would have been in order, then?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    I figured that was the case. You don't tend to make brutal spelling mistakes like that, in fact, typos are surprisingly rare on this website.

Anyway, its nice seeing weston piecing together so nicely. I'm just wondering though - how much work is left for just wayland? I feel like wayland by itself hasn't got much attention lately. Unless there are some major distros out there that intend to use weston, I really don't see why so much attention is given to it when several DEs intend to support wayland without (to my knowledge) the use of weston.

Comment

Working...
                    X