Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is All Hope Lost For Non-Android Linux Tablets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    KDE Vivaldi will be using Wayland in the future version of the Plasma Active, so it's the only interesting option out there.
    Since PlasmaActive is relying on Mer, its hopes of being on large numbers of devices is unlikely to get the enthusiasm needed to convert it, when compared to Ubuntu-Touch and its use of base Android that has existing vast amounts of support.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Also, firefox OS is going to fail miserably. Its just a neutered version of Android.
      Firefox OS isn't "just a neutered version of Android". It's completely different, they only have in common the Linux kernel and the drivers, everything else is different.

I don't know if it's going to eventually fail (I hope not because it's the only really community developed project), but it's having some success now (otherwise why carriers are still investing in it?).

Comment

Odd to see no one mention sailfish, considered the first Jolla phone release at the end of the month. Which if succesful I can easily see them going into tablet market later.

Comment

there's arguably still hope left for Ubuntu Touch to become a commercial success
          There isn't. Moreover, it was perfectly predictable that Ubuntu Touch would fail. I have every reason to gloat but in all seriousness it's sad. Mark did a huge mistake back in 2009 when he chose to become a Steve Jobs wannabe. And now it's too late to turn back. People have moved on to other distros.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            If a full Linux-on-tablet device is to take off I would think that it needs to adopt Microsoft's strategy of having two UIs that interact with each other seamlessly like what Metro currently does; a very touch-centric UI for when the tablet is being used as a , well, tablet, and a traditional desktop metaphor for when the device is connected to a display.
            Ever heard of plasma active? KDE had that long before Windows 8 was even announced. However, unlike windows 8, plasma doesn't expect you to have to manually switch back and forth, and desktop users never even have to know that a touch-based interface is there. It automatically switches to the proper interface depending on the situation (and it isn't limited to just desktop and tablet interfaces, there are also netbook and media center-optimized interfaces).

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
              Odd to see no one mention sailfish, considered the first Jolla phone release at the end of the month. Which if succesful I can easily see them going into tablet market later.
              I doubt they will be successful. Their phone is a dual core with 1gb ram selling at 400, whereas you can get a Nexus 4 with quad core and 2gb ram for 200~250. The only thing they are offering hardware wise is a replaceable back cover that no one knows how it will be useful.
              However, I would say that their chances for success is higher than that of Ubuntu since they are going to market soon whereas Ubuntu doesn't even yet have any plans to release a hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                KDE Vivaldi will be using Wayland in the future version of the Plasma Active, so it's the only interesting option out there.
                Intresting for who? When was the last time you heared an Adnroid user to be excited because of surfaceflinger? Are you serious?

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                  Intresting for who? When was the last time you heared an Adnroid user to be excited because of surfaceflinger? Are you serious?
                  That is because surfaceflinger is boring

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                    There isn't. Moreover, it was perfectly predictable that Ubuntu Touch would fail. I have every reason to gloat but in all seriousness it's sad. Mark did a huge mistake back in 2009 when he chose to become a Steve Jobs wannabe. And now it's too late to turn back. People have moved on to other distros.
                    So Ubuntu touch failed(?) (before development finish) because Mark did a "huge mistake" in 2009 and now its too late because people moved to other distros.

And thats the reason Ubuntu touch failed(?)...

You just made my day...

Comment

To answer the question of the article: Yes, and there never was any.

Comment

Working...
                      X