Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: KWin 5 Is Now "Stable" With Good Functionality

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,390

    Default KWin 5 Is Now "Stable" With Good Functionality

    Phoronix: KWin 5 Is Now "Stable" With Good Functionality

    The KDE KWin maintainer, Martin Grlin, has announced today that the KWin 5 code is in good shape, he's using it for day-to-day use, and will now begin accepting bug reports on the window manager that supports Qt5...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUxMjg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    So, if pretty much everything else about your system is KDE 4, is it safe to upgrade to kwin 5? Or, will distros just do that automatically when the maintainers deem it acceptable?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    So, if pretty much everything else about your system is KDE 4, is it safe to upgrade to kwin 5? Or, will distros just do that automatically when the maintainers deem it acceptable?
    No, Martin never actually said it is "stable" (that is Mark's choice of words), just that his experience with it has been pretty stable. But other people use it in other ways with other software and hardware configuration, and this will almost certainly cause new bugs to appear that Martin could never find on his own. The whole point of the blog post is to have pre-alpha testers that can test kwin more widely to see how things break. And things almost certainly will break.

    It is definitely not production-ready, and nothing in the blog posts suggests it is. It isn't even be labeled an alpha, not to mention a beta. Mark wrote his article in such a way that it makes kwin seem much more stable than Martin's original blog post claims.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    No, Martin never actually said it is "stable" (that is Mark's choice of words), just that his experience with it has been pretty stable. But other people use it in other ways with other software and hardware configuration, and this will almost certainly cause new bugs to appear that Martin could never find on his own. The whole point of the blog post is to have pre-alpha testers that can test kwin more widely to see how things break. And things almost certainly will break.

    It is definitely not production-ready, and nothing in the blog posts suggests it is. It isn't even be labeled an alpha, not to mention a beta. Mark wrote his article in such a way that it makes kwin seem much more stable than Martin's original blog post claims.
    Who is Mark?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    Sorry, I meant Michael.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    984

    Default

    I think "stable" is a pretty choice of worlds

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    65

    Default

    I wonder if this means that he'll start working on Wayland support again, when he's not bug-fixing KWin 5, or if he'll focus entirely on getting it production-ready?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UraniumDeer View Post
    I wonder if this means that he'll start working on Wayland support again, when he's not bug-fixing KWin 5, or if he'll focus entirely on getting it production-ready?
    My understanding is that he has been working on Wayland all along. He may work for a week or two on something else, then come back to Wayland for a week or two.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    No, Martin never actually said it is "stable"
    He certainly didn't say that, no. What he said is that it's reached a point where it's actually useful for other people to try it and to report bugs they find, rather than just being a waste of time. That's *very* short of being declared "stable"...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    He certainly didn't say that, no. What he said is that it's reached a point where it's actually useful for other people to try it and to report bugs they find, rather than just being a waste of time. That's *very* short of being declared "stable"...
    That sounds like going from pre-alpha to alpha.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •