GNOME 3.12 Makes Further Wayland Inroads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    A major new feature like this belongs in a new major version. What Gnome does is simply unprofessional? but so is using client-side decorations and GTK.
    I agree with you, but GTK wasn't always that bad. If you remember correctly, it isn't even "Gnome Tool Kit", it's "GIMP Tool Kit". It has simple beginnings and could have been great, had Gnome not picked it up and ran with it in the COMPLETELY WRONG DIRECTION.

On the looks front, I prefer GTK. It is a little easier on the eyes, I think, and has really really really nice themes.
    But the incompatibilities between freaking minor version numbers is so wrong it's not even funny.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      From what I can tell, Qt5, KF5 have been ready for a long time, and Plasma and KWin are getting there nicely.
      Qt 5 has only been "ready" for the stuff KDE needs since 5.2 (which isn't even out yet). KDE devs have made a huge amount of progress with the modularization for frameworks 5, but that isn't even done yet, and after that is done there are still going to be some API/ABI cleanups (if I understand the planning document correctly). So they have come a long way, but KF5 is not "ready" yet, which is why there hasn't been as much effort yet on porting applications (it is hard to port to a moving target).

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        A major new feature like this belongs in a new major version. What Gnome does is simply unprofessional? but so is using client-side decorations and GTK.
        Major versions are decided upon by the release team, which you're welcome to join. FWIW, we rely on loads and loads of new technology during any major release. This happened many times during 2.x timeframe. Further, X support is not going away. All these version numbering discussions are rather amusing.

Anyway, version numbering is not related to proffesionalism. E.g. Firefox/Mozilla, Google, Microsoft, etc all have various similar examples. Meaning, you're suggesting nobody is professional, doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          On the looks front, I prefer GTK. It is a little easier on the eyes, I think, and has really really really nice themes.
          But the incompatibilities between freaking minor version numbers is so wrong it's not even funny.
          GTK+ has a stable ABI and API between major versions. I'm guessing you're talking about themes, there is no ABI/API for themes. They obviously will need work between minor versions. Work that we're making easier by allowing more and more to be done via CSS.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            Qt 5 has only been "ready" for the stuff KDE needs since 5.2 (which isn't even out yet). KDE devs have made a huge amount of progress with the modularization for frameworks 5, but that isn't even done yet, and after that is done there are still going to be some API/ABI cleanups (if I understand the planning document correctly). So they have come a long way, but KF5 is not "ready" yet, which is why there hasn't been as much effort yet on porting applications (it is hard to port to a moving target).
            I meant ready for Wayland.

KF5 are clearly aren't ready for everyday desktop usage, no argument there.

Comment

Working...
            X