Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.12 Makes Further Wayland Inroads

Phoronix: GNOME 3.12 Makes Further Wayland Inroads

The latest GNOME 3.12 development packages have better support for running on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

gnome-session-flashback

I would really like to run gnome-session-flashback on Wayland...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I would really like to run gnome-session-flashback on Wayland...
      I would really like to run Wayland with nvidia proprietary drivers on 64bit system.

Comment

I would really like for KDE to catch up to GNOME with Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
          I would really like to run Wayland with nvidia proprietary drivers on 64bit system.
          I wonder if NVIDIA will backport their EGL implementation (which looks like it's coming) into the legacy branch. I know with the old 6000 and 7000 cards you could also just use nouveau, but that's still way more buggy than 304xx from NVIDIA. Even on the desktop you feel that nouveau is slower on these cards with Gnome 3.10. With nouveau my desktop just randomly starts to glitch out slowly but surely the more you try to interact with what's left of the UI. http://imgur.com/TOIrPsD

Ultimately NVIDIA would have to make their driver ready for xwayland, too. I don't think that distros could patch this downstream just like Intel wants Canonical to patch their xmir support downstream into the intel DDX.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            I would really like to run Wayland with nvidia developed foss drivers (on par with the other platforms) on 64bit system.

Comment

Originally posted by vivo View Post
              I would really like for KDE to catch up to GNOME with Wayland support.
              Gnome only seems to be "ahead" with Wayland support because they released a buggy version of it in 3.10. KDE will have a FULLY WORKING and STABLE Wayland KDE working come summer... and I'm sure Gnome will have a FULLY WORKING and STABLE Wayland Gnome around the same time. It's not really a race against each other, more of a race to just get it done so that driver people start making EGL drivers.

Luckily, my only laptop uses Intel graphics so I can switch to Wayland as soon as either one is finished

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                Gnome only seems to be "ahead" with Wayland support because they released a buggy version of it in 3.10.
                To be fair, there is more visible progress in GNOME, partially because Red Hat and Intel have a direct coordination with distro release goals (Fedora 21 or 22) but the support was clearly marked experimental and users wouldn't really come across it at all unless you go out of your way to install and tweak things. That is just normal "release early and often" approach in open source development. There is certainly some level of competition but the issues discovered and communicated with Wayland developers will help other desktop environments like KDE since common bits are being split out into their own libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                  To be fair, there is more visible progress in GNOME, partially because Red Hat and Intel have a direct coordination with distro release goals (Fedora 21 or 22) but the support was clearly marked experimental and users wouldn't really come across it at all unless you go out of your way to install and tweak things. That is just normal "release early and often" approach in open source development. There is certainly some level of competition but the issues discovered and communicated with Wayland developers will help other desktop environments like KDE since common bits are being split out into their own libraries.
                  I think that another reason is that KDE is timing their Wayland support to coincide with the next major release, and this upcoming new version is not as visible or widely used yet.

From what I can tell, Qt5, KF5 have been ready for a long time, and Plasma and KWin are getting there nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    I think that another reason is that KDE is timing their Wayland support to coincide with the next major release, and this upcoming new version is not as visible or widely used yet.

From what I can tell, Qt5, KF5 have been ready for a long time, and Plasma and KWin are getting there nicely.
                    A major new feature like this belongs in a new major version. What Gnome does is simply unprofessional? but so is using client-side decorations and GTK.

Comment

Working...
                    X