Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Puts Out Ceylon 1.0 Language, Compiler

Phoronix: Red Hat Puts Out Ceylon 1.0 Language, Compiler

Red Hat is out this week with their first production release of Ceylon, a modular, modern, and statically-typed programming language for Java and JavaScript Virtual Machines. Ceylon 1.0 consists of a language specification, compiler, and Eclipse IDE integration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

how does it compare with clojure and groovy? (aside from compiling to javascript as well)
    if google cant popularize go, I don't expect ceylon getting traction with redhat's backing

Comment

Languages are in vogue these days...

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
        how does it compare with clojure and groovy?
        Well compare in what way?
        I think it stays closer to its Java roots, which is on purpose, so people coming from Java will feel "at home".

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
        if google cant popularize go, I don't expect ceylon getting traction with redhat's backing
        Well thing is that Google doesn't really seem to be trying.

Maybe they want Go (and Dart) to prove themselves on their own first?

Comment

I read some of the documentation, and Ceylon definitely has a few interesting concepts that set it apart from the rest, so I wouldn't pronounce it dead just yet. The type system in it is especially interesting, and the people who wrote the documentation keep making comparisons with Java which probably means they intended to solve problems, or percieved problems with Java. It should get some attention in that case.

The documentation is pretty comprehensive and easy for anyone who knows a little OOP. I probably will use it.

Comment

Working...
          X