Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Publishes Bdver4 (Excavator) GCC Compiler Patch

Phoronix: AMD Publishes Bdver4 (Excavator) GCC Compiler Patch

While we're waiting until January for AMD to put out their Kaveri APUs that are built on their Steamroller architecture, third-generation Bulldozer, there's already GCC compiler optimizations landing for the fourth-generation Bulldozer architecture. Bdver4 Excavator APUs will succeed the bdver3 APU/CPUs in 2015...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From everything I've been able to glean, there is going to be no standalone Steamroller to upgrade today's Piledriver/Vishera. I would guess that the same will be true of Excavator. Plus from what I've seen, Kavari looks a bit anemic on the CPU side, with half the cores Vishera. That doesn't account for the GPUs, which AMD is counting on with their Fusion and unified access. But doesn't that stuff need new and specific code to be useful? Does it use OpenCL or some other standard API, and how fast is software to one of those APIs coming along? (Aside from password cracking, and a few other very specific examples?)

Comment

Originally posted by phred14 View Post
      From everything I've been able to glean, there is going to be no standalone Steamroller to upgrade today's Piledriver/Vishera. I would guess that the same will be true of Excavator. Plus from what I've seen, Kavari looks a bit anemic on the CPU side, with half the cores Vishera. That doesn't account for the GPUs, which AMD is counting on with their Fusion and unified access. But doesn't that stuff need new and specific code to be useful? Does it use OpenCL or some other standard API, and how fast is software to one of those APIs coming along? (Aside from password cracking, and a few other very specific examples?)
      Excavator was never going to be an FX processor, but a huge leap forward in HSA as an APU that dwarfs its predecessor in performance and efficiency.

Comment

Working...
      X