Mono Developers Renew Their Love For Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Filar View Post
    Why would anyone not want to have mono on Linux?
    In my opinion, having it is not bad in itself. What's bad is developers specifically targeting it, instead of using native cross-platform tools. It's something between having a native program and having it run through Wine in my view.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      In my opinion, having it is not bad in itself. What's bad is developers specifically targeting it, instead of using native cross-platform tools. It's something between having a native program and having it run through Wine in my view.
      Xamarin is said to produce native code, regarding Android or iOS7, but you are relying on a commercial product.

LLVM would probably be the better investment for coders to use in general, but other tools would be needed to deploy to Android/Apple to match the features.

Thanks, n3wu53r.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        the problem is, aside from C#/.NET there is no real(=professional) cross-platform language available. Aside from the slow-ugly-memory hogging piece of shit that is called Java. And luckily that has been left to die when it was given to Oracle. OpenJDK is just the last struggle before the inevitable death of that language.

The only true crossplatform solution would be something browserbased and that's just not feasible for most projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
          the problem is, aside from C#/.NET there is no real(=professional) cross-platform language available. Aside from the slow-ugly-memory hogging piece of shit that is called Java. And luckily that has been left to die when it was given to Oracle. OpenJDK is just the last struggle before the inevitable death of that language.

The only true crossplatform solution would be something browserbased and that's just not feasible for most projects.
          I don't see what defines "professional". Popularity? That's hardly something you'd differentiate "professional" with.

Comment

i read this sentence 5 times in the hope the word "not" was just an illusion.

Comment

The linux universe is full of nazi gnu people and trolls, be water my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
                they don't seem to have a play at the moment for the rush of new Windows desktop games and software coming to Linux.
                Are you kidding me? Considering that Unity3D utilizes Mono, I would say that a great deal of new Linux games make use of Mono, as a great deal of them use Unity3D, whether you like it or not. Personally, I do not really care about proprietary applications using Mono, although I am still a little concerned about its use in free software projects.

Comment

because java already exists

Doesn't matter much, the age of virtual machine languages is coming to an obvious end. Scripting languages are much more popular as "first class" languages than ever and taking java/C#'s place everywhere but business cubicles.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    Hahaha. Java dying? Are you sure you're not on some heavy stuff? Just because you can't code for shit and all your programs are slow-ugly-memory hogging pieces of shit doesn't mean it's Java's fault. Java is very efficient if you actually know your stuff.
                    Java is awesome and far from dying, but there is still a lot to be desired from the consumers perspective. The "sluggishness" that users percieve is due to the JIT compiler at startup. Oracle should once and for all solve this problem by implementing JIT caching and re-using the optimisations from the previous run, which would make it a lot faster at startup (console apps are just fine, but GUI (Swing) would hugely benefit from the caching).

On the memory argument, while I agree that Java is efficient if you know your stuff, you have to work around the memory overhead which not every programmer is willing to make. You can use for example, ByteBuffer to store/represent large amounts of data and then abstract it, but why do that? The point is, you should not have to go that lengths to reduce memory usage drastically, because with that much effort you could just as well use C or C++.

Another annoyance for users is installing the monstrous JVM, which is around 168MB on windows. Granted you only have to install it once, but it is still an annoyance.

Java on the server is a different story, there fast startup and large virtual machines don't matter as much.

My conclusion: Java is a great language, but I honestly would not choose Java over C or C++ in software projects which will run on computers other than my own. I use Java and Python to rapidly develop and test my ideas in practice, simply because it's convenient and I can throw together a working example with bells and whistles really quickly.

Comment

yes there is

Originally posted by Detructor View Post

I've used C++ and Qt and I can tell you it's really quite nice and cross-platform. Also performs better than anything else because well ... it's C++ . With Qt added to provide the cross-platform stuff and pretty much all the things you'd need not only for GUI but also for XML, networking, database and what not there's really no reason why you'd need anything else with Qt having been ported to iOS and Android.
                      Browser based stuff with HTML5 still suck big time IMO and can't get anywhere near Java or C#, not to mention C/C++.

Comment

Working...
                      X